Friday, June 12, 2020

Tasty Morsels


My friend Randy asked me the other day, ”Why aren’t you machine binding all of these?”. It would definitely be faster, but I am enjoying the slow hand stitching on these blocks each night. It gives me time to connect with each quiltmaker as I sew along.

Here is the next installment in the ever evolving, “Community Supper”.
Lori DeJarnatt (HumbleQuilts), Madras, Oregon. So many of you follow Lori, I almost don’t need to say anything about her. She is a passionate, generous and talented quilter and I adore her gorgeous flower block. It is from the Noah and Matilda quilt by Collector with a Needle. You can order the pattern (here). I admire anyone who can machine applique (I really have tried, but have no patience for it). This is truly beautiful. Lori also shares my passion for eagles on quilts so I used one on the back. Thanks Lori! 


Rose Mikuski, Algonquin, Illinois. (Something Rose Made) I started following Rose’s blog when I spotted a feedsack quilt she had made. She is one of the most prolific quilters out there. Take a look at her colorful, happy quilts on her blog (here). I love this block and to my surprise I don’t have one single fabric in it. With the stash I have, that is close to a miracle! Thanks Rose! 


Sally Murray, Topock, Arizona. Sally and I share a passion for 19th century conversational prints. She has done a lot of research and has a wonderful collection. I am very happy to have this block from Sally with a 21st century conversational print, which she is calling “Lunch with Wendy” (Wish I could have lunch with you!) I love it! Thanks Sally! 


Dawn Cook-Ronningen, Maple Grove, Minnesota (Collector with a Needle). I have made quilts from Dawn’s (Collector with a Needle) patterns many times and have to say they are the best I have ever used. I can’t wait to get started on their latest, “Fig Leaf and Flowers”. Dawn sent 2 blocks. A tiny appliqued beauty (which I am saving for something just for me! – photo to follow when finished) and this lovely 10” block. The name, “Brave World” comes from a Judy Hopkins block. Very fitting for this project. Thanks Dawn! 


Barbara Schaffer, Wilmington, New York. (Quilts, Gravestones and Elusive Ancestors). I followed Barbara’s blog long before I ever started my own. Barbara’s label expresses it best, “Love getting together with you”. I love the fabric in this star. It reminds of end papers in old books. I chose the back fabric for this block as it is based on a quilt made by the great quilt historian, “Florence Peto”. Barbara wrote the book, “A Passion for Quilts: The Story of Florence Peto 1881 – 1970” which I believe is now out of print but I highly recommend trying to find a copy! Barbara was also published recently in Barbara Brackman’s “Divided Hearts; A Civil War Friendship Quilt”. Read more about it in Barbara’s post (here). Thanks Barbara! 


That’s it for now. Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Tasty morsels indeed! Thanks for sharing your latest batch of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i could never pick one favorite....all gorgeous...great project for these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like hand stitching binding down.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tasty morsels get better with each serving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More fun at the community potluck. Can't wait to see what covered dishes show up next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Seeing these beautiful blocks makes me want to whip up something tastier for the potluck.... but no - my orphan block is all packed up, addressed and ready to mail as soon as Japan allows for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What perfect backings for these blocks! I've never seen that Peto cheater but it sure looks great! Thanks, Wendy, for bringing us all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! I see Lori used one if our Noah and Matilda blocks to make her pretty contribution. So glad you could use brave new world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH Wendy. the blocks are looking fabulous!
    I think you are having a lot of fun picking the backings for the particular blocks!
    Looking GREAT!!
    ps: you might want to delete the comments from the spell caster above mine!! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you are consumed with this project. This is so so fun - each block has so much personality.
    Love your backings especially the florence Peto Calico Garden

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made one of those flower blocks like Lori sent you and also did machine applique. It had lots of stops and starts. Love the fabric you used for the back of her block.

    I so enjoy seeing the blocks quilters have sent you andk seeing their labels and your choice of backing. A treat for the eyes.

    I like the name of Dawn's home town. I like anything made with maple. Right now I would like to have some maple candy or pancakes with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog posts are so sweet! They must take as long to write as the blocks do!! I'm all caught up and what you are doing is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely potluck of quilt blocks and makers you have collected so far! Am anticipating a beautiful quilt when they are all together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete