Monday, January 28, 2019

Humble Quilts String-a-long and Pearls of Wisdom


I am having a ball with Lori’s (Humble Quilts) string-a-long blocks! It will come as quite a surprise to my regular readers, but I have decided to make these in the potholder method (insert silly laughing face here). Actually, this kind of quilt really lends itself well to the potholder method. Many of Lori’s followers are doing these on a foundation and I am just taking it one step further. 

For some reason I thought it would be fun to spice it up by piecing the center strip. It actually hasn’t been that difficult. My friend Meliss gave me some finished half square triangles which I used in several blocks. And, I found some old orphan blocks and just whacked away until I found a size that would work. 
This will be the 20th quilt I have made in the potholder method so I decided to try something different. I am going to make this one completely by machine. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be at least functional when it is done. Be sure to watch for Lori's link up on the 30th. 


 Back



Audrey’s (Quilty Folk) post last week on organizing her sewing space really hit home (actually most of her posts get me very motivated in one way or another). One of the reasons I prefer blogging to other social media is I am not one to follow what is popular. I simply do what pleases me. As Popeye says, “I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam”. Because I belong to several quilting groups on Facebook, it is difficult not to notice what is trending as I scroll through to find what interests me. One thing that is coming up a lot is “simplifying your life by de-cluttering”.

I see nothing “simple” about de-cluttering. For those of us who are on the “hoarding spectrum”, this can be a monumental task. I have tried to weed out from time to time, but I must admit I have failed miserably. Apparently, everything in my sewing room brings me joy!

However, I was so inspired by Audrey’s efforts that I decided to give it one more try. My scrap bins were out of control and I could no longer see my antique pine floor. I needed to cut more strips for my string quilt blocks which I organized by color in 2 ½ quart plastic paint buckets.
It has made a huge difference in the variety of color in these blocks and I am very happy with this system.


Then I found 2 three drawer bins and filled them with my colored scraps in ROYGBIV order. 
That left only 3 baskets to trip over containing my lights, miscellaneous and browns. 
I might get to those this weekend, but for now I am happy to have a floor back!


22 comments:

  1. For quite some time I kept my scraps by color- kids have a blast doing that, but unfortunately all my kids have grown up!
    I yam what I yam is my philosophy too! Your sneak peak at the blocks is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is progress and if it works for you it's the perfect system! I love your blocks, the hst are the perfect little surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like your string blocks with the pieces and parts added. I could see myself doing something like that and liking it very much. I would have to cut strings as I donate small scraps to the local church thrift store.
    Your antique pine floor is wonderful! I have antique crappy carpet in my sewing room. I would love to have new flooring in there but it would be overwhelming moving everything out (including a large sewing machine cabinet) in order to accomplish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great string blocks--I love that center strippy idea--very nice.
    As for de-cluttering--I am unable to do much of that if (truth be told) at all...;((((:000 yikes.. I haven't scrapbooked in YEARS and still am holding all those papers, and trims, etc...canNOT get rid of them...
    then helpful hubster says: "You have space, what's wrong with just leaving them where they are?" Uhhh not helpful...So my spare room closet is CRAMMED with scrapbook stuff, bookmaking items, yarns, etc etc...
    I am hoping to actually sort it out...sigh...hugs and good luck Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely love the idea of you placing pieced sections in your string quilt! I can't wait to see the end result! We all have to do what works for us. I am happy you have found the method of organization that works for you. It truly is important for artists to be able to "see" what we have to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your floors look beautiful :0) I love the age in them. I think a pieced centre for string blocks is going to look so interesting - I can't wait to see it! As always, you use such beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful to see the floor again! hehe I love your pieced bits in the strings. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your string block photos are such a happy colorful composition! I think many of us quilters thrive on a cheerful jumble of color and pattern, and too much "organization" might just take away from the spontaneity
    in our work. And this is coming from someone whose finishes always seem so formulaic and uninspired, but who so wishes to break out of that mold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy about the idea of using little bits of piecing here and there in your string blocks!
    I am not much on "trends" either, Wendy. If a trend appeals to me, I might consider it, but I have never been one to wear or decorate with trends. I know what I like and that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice blocks as usual...not interested in downsizing here either...i love my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and inspiring blocks. As much as I dislike housework, a good clean up always motivates my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inserting leftover piecing upgrades the string blocks. I did something similar a while back and liked the look so much. Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did a string Quilt with a friend a few years ago, we had lots of fun. Yours is very colorful and I love that you're doing the pot holder method.
    A little tidy up for a project is satisfying. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wee your string quilt project is awesome. Love that your added pieced center strips. It really does kick it up a notch! such amazing repros to study.
    I applaud your organizing efforts. Mined are way less controlled. tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! Extremely impressive. I hadn't thought about separating my scraps by color so I find your system interesting. I also really love the idea of incorporating something different into the string blocks--especially since I thought mine were of no interest. What a great way to use up extra stuff, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven’t seen the pot holder method but what a good idea. And all that organizing is very inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the idea of those pieced centers in the string blocks and a great way to use up those gifted orphans! The way your potholder-by-machine finishing method looks, reminds me of how the quilts looked when using the Cotton Theory assembly method that was popular awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on getting your floor back! I'm still looking for mine! I did go through my first floor and kept only the things that brought me joy. It looks very nice, as the things that do bring me joy aren't crowded out by stuff that doesn't. The sewing room is harder for me to do, but organizing it would certainly help loads!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun to add to a string block. Great use of orphan blocks and bits and pieces. Organization is key to being productive. I'm more organized (quilt wise) than I've ever been this year and I've been getting more fun sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your strings are awesome, especially due to the fact that some of your strings are actually pieced strings. Great way to use them up too. I also follow Quilt Folk and find her quilts very inspiring. Like minds, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blocks - I was wondering what the potholder method was - but I think i have it now - the same as I am going to do...love the drawer sets you bought...I would grab them too...but might be hard to get here in Australia! Happy sewing -

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your ideas of adding something pieced in your blocks Wendy. I need to check out this potholder method especially by machine. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete