Sunday, November 27, 2022

My Eight Year Quilt

 I started this quilt back in 2014!! At the time, I hadn't intended to us it as my "filler project", but that is just what it became. I finished all the 9-patches and hand appliqued and quilted all the circle blocks fairly quickly. 

 



Then, other hand work came along and I took my time hand binding each little 3" block (all 219 of them) whenever the mood struck. I even kept a tin of them in the car for "road trips" or waiting at extra long traffic lights (just kidding!). 

It took a few years to get all the bindings done and then they sat dormant in a box, waiting and waiting for assembly. 

So, after surgery in September, I needed something super simple to start my quilting journey again and the box came to light. I arranged the blocks as best I could and placed each row in baggies and started to assemble them. 
 


And, 3 months later... 
 
back

True to naming my potholder quilts with some sort of cooking or food reference, this one has become "Donut Holes"!

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Circles and nine patches ..... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt was worth the wait. It is BEAUTIFUL!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it....wonderful it's done...we all need a project like that at some point...so glad it gave you the jump start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Gosh! It's true, good things are worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful. I love them individually as bound blocks as well. Eight years is not so much - I have plenty of projects taking longer than that ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to ease back into quilting after your illness! I think it’s a really good thing to have some of those “long journey” projects lying around 🙂.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just wonderful! At first I thought it was a version of Quilty 365, but then recalled you made another version of that project. I just love the zigzag edges you achieved with your potholder method.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness. What a visual treat. Your donut holes are a fabulous combo of color and textures. I wouldn't know which one to pick at the bakery counter. Each 3" square is perfect. I'm so glad you were able to finish this. One more potholder masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful! I think we all need long-term project like this that is easy to pick up between other projects or when you need some handwork to do. I can't imagine binding all those little blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is absolutely remarkable. I love the design with those sweet nine patches. The back is fabulous as always. Your such an inspiration Wendy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute and yummy! Worth the wait! Hope your surgery recuperation went well.
    Rondi rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The constant of your Constant Quilter is that you constantly amaze me with the things you make. This is really a lot of work. It is really a lot of little tiny stitches to complete such a wonderful quilt. LIke I said. . . you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way your potholder method of finishing each block provides that lovely zigzag edge. A perfect finish for this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! What an amazing quilt, Wendy! I can't imagine binding 219 3" Donut Holes! Wonderful quilt and a great name!

    ReplyDelete