Saturday, August 17, 2024

Trying to catch up

 I'm trying to post 6 months of "goings on" in as few posts as possible. I'd like to get to "square one" before the end of this steaming hot summer! So...

Earlier this summer, my friend Julie Silber curated a show at the Cahoon Museum of Art in Barnstable, MA (Cahoonmuseum.org) called: Small Quilts, Big Stories. She used this little quilt that I had given her many years ago as part of the exhibition. The show (and a number of other wonderful exhibitions) runs until September 22, so if you are anywhere near the Cape this summer, please stop in. 

 
 

The news of the shutdown of Quiltmania Magazine hit all of us pretty hard, but none I'm sure as hard as for the founder and owner, Carol Veillon. We will miss this stellar publication and I wish Carol a "pieceful" retirement. Back in issue # 157, my friend Barb Vedder (Fun With Barb blog) had published her "Scrap Happy" quilt. I made a regular sized version and donated it to the local infusion center. 

Then I decided to try one in half the size. What fun!! I sent it off to Barb before I realized I had forgotten to photograph the finished quilt, but here it the top. I just adore this size and just may make another one "someday". 

                   27" X 32" 

I've been trying to use what I have on hand these days and that certainly includes a very large amount of feedsack scraps. I finished this one in January, but I never posted the finished quilt. I appliqued one feedsack circle onto a white feedsack square every morning of 2023. I finished 12 blocks of 30 squares at the end of each month and then hand quilted them and assembled them in the New Year. I call it "Sugar Cookies".  

 
 

I finally finished this LONG term project made from some of my favorite feedsack novelty prints and lots and lots of yo-yos. 
 
 
 

This little gem will be going to my niece's new baby boy. I adore these feedsack plaids. 
 

This might be my favorite feedsack quilt thus far. I used vintage embroidered tea towels and linens and framed them with vintage feedsack fabrics. So much fun!! I call this one "Tea Time". 
 

I liked it so much that I made another one with reproduction toiles and chintzes. I love this one too and I call it "Fancy Feast". 
 
I used fun cheater prints on the backs of each block. 
 

That's all I can muster today. Will try to do more catching up next week. I'd really like to get to "current projects" before I start another one. 😉

Happy Quilting!













 



6 comments:

  1. Delightful quilts, thanks for taking the time to share. The yo yo quilt was fun to examine all the different prints. I hope another lovely publication jumps in to fill the void left by Quiltmania.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow great blog post and lots of delish photos...i love tea time and the little quilt in the museum....such pretty things all around...such wonderful progress you've been making behind the scenes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I really never comment on your last post? I am not letting that happen on this one!! I am just gob-smacked, Wendy! One incredibly creative beauty after another here. I know you say it is 6 months worth, but I could go back 6 years and not have this much hand work to share, and each one just leaves me with my mouth hanging open--maybe even drooling a bit. ;) And your names and backings just add to the overall fun of each quilt.
    I wish I could get to Barnstable. I have many ancestors from that area, but when we came to Maine 3 years ago, we had time to visit Plymouth (ancestors again), but not enough time to get to the Cape. The little quilt you have on display there is so striking, the way you have echoed the flowers and vine of the print with your lovely applique. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, but you have been busy and what a wonderful parade of finished quilts you made. Bravo and I just love your potholder method. I keep looking at them and know that I will be trying one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful finishes! I attended Julie Silber shows when they were held at Somerset Mall in Troy Michgan. They were the best. Exquisite quilts nicely displayed throughout the mall. Since you like feedsack, check out Kelly Cline on Facebook who makes and teaches how to make pincushions with feedsack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing all your work. I love the feedsack finishes! Wish I could move mine forward....

    ReplyDelete