My friend Cyndi (Busy Thimble) and I are in charge of the antiques section of our statewide show “Maine Quilts 2016” this summer. This year’s exhibition is a bit different. We invited quilters to choose a favorite antique quilt and reproduce it in a smaller version. I found this quilt last spring and thought it was so unique.
I think I really chose it because I thought it would be an easy one to reproduce - ah - NO! First of all I found a fabric that I thought would work for the teal stripe, but it was off in color so I dyed it. Nope, that didn’t work so I bought more and dyed it another color. Closer, but not perfect.
Then I had trouble finding the right fabric for the brown. Seriously, how hard could it be to find a reproduction brown? I finally chose this wonderful print designed by Judy Roche. Again, it isn’t perfect, but I like it and I like Judy, so it is now a win, win.
I wanted the stripe look in the serpentine vine as in the original,
but when it came to the leaf appliques I found that the pieces were so small that the strip looked odd. So I pieced the fabric in order to have a big enough piece to make an entire leaf in teal.
I backbasted the vine for placement but did my usual semi random placement of the leaf and berry motifs because, well, it was easier!
I realized after taking waaaaay too long to start this project, that maybe I should have chosen something I really loved. Not that I don’t like it, but I should have realized that a two color quilt would be far too bland for me. Thank goodness I have my cheddar background Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt blocks to work on too!
Cyndi is reproducing a potholder quilt in the collection of the Maine State Museum. She posted some of her blocks (here) .