Tuesday, December 5, 2017

The Little Red Hen

While looking through my photo file, I realized I had not yet posted about this little quilt. 


It all began when one of our “Seven Sisters” (Karen B.) decided to downsize her fabric stash. At first, we were all in a panic wondering if she was going to leave us! But, she assured us she was not giving up quilting, just a few hundred yards of guilty pleasure.

So, we gleefully accepted the invitation for “Cake and Take” at her house in early September. We all went home with full bellies and armloads of much needed fabric.

We decided on the way home that we must do something to thank Susie Karen (as we affectionately call her). I spied a pillow in her living room with a log cabin like design and drafted this simple yet bold block. I cut out 5 kits for each of the six of us and distributed them to the group. Then…

Fotini collected the blocks…
Charlotte put the top together…
Tina provided the batting…
Wendy provided the backing…
Kathy quilted it…
Karen M. did the binding…

It really reminded me of the story of the Little Red Hen in reverse since we ALL had a hand in it.

Susie Karen had knee surgery in early October so we had the perfect opportunity to visit her and present the quilt. Needless to say, she was very pleased!

the back 


I am very lucky to have this group of wonderful women in my life!!!

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story about this Little Red Hen quilt!
    I'm sure that your friend Karen will always treasure this special quilt. Quilting friends are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a flannel quilt similar to that. Fun and effective! I;'m sure your friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading the story about the reason for making the quilt. I like the idea of the Cake and Take. Many of us quilters could easily host one of those to clean out some unused stash fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beatiful quilt...... Sound like you have great group of girls to sew with......

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story and a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful sharing of quilting! Cake and Take - I have to have one of those one day!! I seriously need to have a giveaway of stuff around here - I've already started a box for next years seminar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is definitely a huge blessing to have a sisterhood of quilters to share your life with. A fun quilt
    and a sweet gesture to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the quilt present! My intention is to make one like it one of these days. I've been doing the same thing for quite some time--thinning the stash--and have taken BAGS AND BAGS to the quilt group at my church. Hasn't seem to make much of a dent yet. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to gift your generous friend with a quilt! Quilters rarely get quilts as a gift and so it makes it extra special. Love those rosy centers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You girls were so kind and thoughtful to work together and turn around and share such a sweet quilt to one of your"sisters". I love the idea of a "cake and take". :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great story, Wendy! And the quilt turned out really well. Very thoughtful of everyone involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. quilty peeps are essential to one's life for sure....nice job,no doubt well received

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh what a wonderful quilt made with friendship !! Unforgettable !

    ReplyDelete
  14. What teamwork! Quilters really make things happen. Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great group project, Wendy! Your friends are the best! (you included).
    How's Florida??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that quilt you'all made for Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All Australian People are waiting for this day and they will be enjoy and celebrate on this day. Australia Day Pictures This fest is the one of the biggest fest of Australia and the greatest celebrated festival. And All People celebrate with lots of Proud and Hon-our. Its also called Foundation Day, Anniversary Day, Survival Day, and Invasion Day.

    ReplyDelete