Monday, February 18, 2019

Bea and Cecile's Flower blocks update


Finally finished my hexagon flower blocks in my Bea and Cecile sew-a-long. See all the wonderful flower blocks and quilts on their Facebook page (here). 

Border auditioning. More to come.



On Saturday, five of the “Seven Sisters” went to an event at the Maine State Museum. We were to bring a quilt we had made for a special charity or a special friend and talk about it while being recorded. I brought this quilt made from vintage feedsacks that will be going to one of the many charities our group supports. 

I was the first guinea pig so of course I broke the camera! Something went wrong and I had to do it twice. It worked out great because I think my second rendition was better. I’m sorry I didn’t get photos of all the quilts, but the recordings will all be on the MSM website and I will post it when they become live. We had a ball and of course went to lunch afterward! 

I will be posting more about the museum's plans for a fabulous quilt exhibition that will run from July 2020 to July 2021. Laurie LaBar (Chief Curator of History and Decorative Arts) is in the midst of choosing the quilts and writing the book that will accompany this 250 year span of Maine quilts. Stay tuned!

I'm joining Small Quilts and Em's Scrapbag in their Monday link up. I should do this more often! It makes it easy to read blogs that I don't always get a chance to follow and it is so inspiring. Take a hop over! 


18 comments:

  1. Wendy, love your quilt along progress! I did go to Farmhouse threads...what a lovely crazy quilt, don't you think? I printed out the patterns...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sew-along quilt is fabulous, as are both of the auditioned border choices! Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes both border ideas super...where did you do lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear your quilt story. The flower blocks are terrific and I like the border choices so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on finishing the flowers for the Cecile and Bea project. I've fallen seriously behind and am not optimistic...
    Love what you brought to the museum event. The upcoming exhibit next year will warrant another trip to Maine in july, I think!!
    ps: doubt you broke the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flower blocks are so beautiful--it's going to be a very elegant quilt! It's been so fun seeing so many different flower block ideas on FB and inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your idea for flower blocks - can't wait to see the next step!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flower blocks look wonderful with the center medallion. I like both border options, but the second one is my fave!
    That is a beautiful little feedsack quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your flower blocks, very interesting and original setting. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so sweet. The flower blocks are perfect with that center medallion. Nice layout, too! Wonderful feedsack quilt and I look forward to your recording :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little sewalong quilt is gorgeous as usual !!
    Ohhh I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous medallion quilt, so pretty. I'm hoping to get to the Maine exhibit and will certainly get the book.
    Fabulous you shared your quilt and story, looking forward to listening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little hexie blocks are so sweet looking! I'm sure you'll find the perfect border for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that was a good use of the medallion center. I have not done enough hexagons to get very quick at doing them. I watch the videos on You Tube and the demonstrator flies through the process. Not that way for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hexies and quilt are super stunning! I love it so much!
    Bummer about the camera, but nice you got a second, "take"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful hexies and that center panel is stunning. Beautiful color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your little hexie flowers! You have some great border prints! Love the center too. So good!!
    Looking forward to seeing more about the ME exhibit.

    ReplyDelete