Tuesday, May 26, 2020

I'm going to need a bigger table!


It is quite clear that my “Community Supper” is going to be huge! I am thrilled beyond words at the overwhelming response to my orphan block request. I opened 30 packages on Saturday alone. Don’t worry, if you are thinking of sending a block, I will make room for it. I figure if I get too many I can make two quilts – after all, the best part of any community supper is dessert! 


I have started to quilt a few. This is Audrey’s (Quilty Folk) block. I felt a bit guilty machine quilting such a fabulous hand appliqued block, but I like the result. I love the term “organic” when referring to machine quilting. This one is so organic, I could actually smell manure as I was sewing along. I am using “cheater” (aka printed patchwork) prints for the back of each block and this is one of my favorites by Mary Koval. 
back



The bindings will have to wait for a bit. I have chosen a Jo Morton black print, but I’m not sure I have enough. I should know by next week if I have to choose another print.

I thank everyone who is participating and all of you who are watching the quilt progress.

I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. We felt so very blessed to have been able to spend the weekend (in the house my husband’s grandfather was born in) with our children and grandchildren who are in our “circle of safety”. My heart goes out to those of you who have not been able to be with your family.

Our view to the west is of Popham Beach.
The state park is closed and people coming to their cottages from out of state are required to quarantine for 14 days. It was sad to see the beach so empty and even more distressing to come home on Monday to no parade. This makes the “community” quilt even more important to me.


Keep calm and quilt on!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, letting you know my block is in the mail. I'm not sure how long it will take to get over the seas.. It is on the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting to have so many blocks!!
    I think everyone ignored the close to home order. The roads were super busy starting Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know what black Jo Morton fabric you're using. I'm sure someone out there has some to send to you, including me. This is going to be such a fun project to follow. There are a lot of people here who are so anxious to do everything they have been missing that we are having numerous accidents and consequently rescues along the tails in the mountains. Slow down people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh popham was a favorite childhood seashore....congrats on your response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a serene view of the water...much needed in this upside down world right now. We have a natural pond that brings in so much wildlife - never get tired of being near water. Not surprised that you had a deluge of mail - looking forward to watching your project unfold - you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this! As exciting seeing what you do with all those blocks as doing one myself - and so much less work, lol! Audrey's block is a perfect beginning for this project! I remember Maine from my one trip there, maybe 50 years ago. Maybe someday I'll get back there, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We spent the weekend with our family as well, choosing to not forgo everything good about our world! So glad that happened for you as well. Exciting to see the start to your quilt! I love the backing fabric that you have chosen for the block so much! Don't look too close at the stitching detail though. It's definitely pre-experience days! lol Not surprised at all that you're having such a good response. You are a constant source of inspiration and support for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to work on finding a block for you this evening, but it looks like you are all set without it.
    That is a gorgeous backing.
    This will be quite the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see the finished supper!! Just curious how they are enforcing the 14 day quarantine on those coming from elsewhere? Your view is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears that your community is growing. It will be a real treasure. The backing is gorgeous. I hope you have lots. You're so fortunate to have this beautiful view in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a magnificent view!! BOTH the overflowing table and the view of the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous View! wow!
    Love the backing you've chosen for this project.
    How exciting to get so many packages. It is fun to open them and see what surprises await.
    stay well as your state opens
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool project Wendy! My block may have to be there in spirit only. I checked at the post office and they said letters (letters!) could take ... fourth months. I'm hoping Japan will lift its travel restriction sooner rather than later and that will open up airmail again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! That Mary Koval backing fabric is mmmahvelous! I'm putting my block in the mail today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Audrey is very much into the organic look. She does such creative pieces. I am sure she won't mind that you machine quilted her block.

    I like the community supper theme. It brings back memories of a big pot luck style meal with so much variety of home cooked goodness. And desserts galore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never tire of that view. I have fond memories of rocking in one of the rockers, watching the sunset from that porch. Such a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete