Monday, January 31, 2022

January Monthly Mini - Blizzard update


NOTE: Due to the weekend blizzard over the weekend, our internet was out until today. It wasn't the 20 plus inches of snow but rather the 50 MPH wind gusts that did us in. I apologize for not updating links and comments until today, but I promise I will get to all of you eventually. I have already seen some great minis!! Do let me know if I have somehow missed someone. 

 At Christmas, my friend Cyndi (Busy Thimble) sent me some delightful “Dutch” fabrics by Christopher Wilson Tate. They are unbelievably delicious. I drooled over them for days before I dared cut into a few of them to use as stones in my “Bird’s Nest Soup” border. 

my favorite green! 

 As I was playing with them, I recalled that years ago I had purchased a package of Dutch print squares from Den Haan and Wagonmakers. I think it was at the Vermont Quilt Festival, but my memory of quilt shows is so faded, I just can’t remember.

So, I dug them out and mixed them in with Cyndi’s gift and voila! I used an old Judie Rothermel cheater square as my center. 


I auditioned a few different borders and possible corner blocks, but decided that I liked it au naturel.

I bound it with a large print toile in keeping with the chintz like feel. 

I’m calling it “Dutch Delight”. Thanks Cyndi!

 Let’s see how the arctic temperatures have spurred our fellow mini makers.

Quilting Babcia (Amity Quilter)

Randy (Barrister’s Block)

Cathy (Big Lake Quilter) 

Cyndi (Busy Thimble)

Grace (City Mouse Quilter)

Barb (Fun with Barb)

Gladi (Gladi’s Quilts)

Shasta (High Road Quilter)

Joy (Joyful Quilter)

Julie (Julie K Quilts)

Kathy (Kathy’s Quilts)

Katy (Katy Quilts)

Sandy (My Material Creations)

Meredithe (Pomegranate and Chintz)

Angie (Quilting on the Crescent)

Barbara (Quilts, Gravestones and Elusive Ancestors)

Janet (Rogue Quilts)

Kyle (Timeless Reflections)

Cynthia (Wabi-Sabi Quilts)

28 comments:

  1. A delightful mini Wendy! A beautiful way to showcase your Dutch chintz prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new year's first mini is a total delight! Each fabric invites a closer look to savor every detail. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those fabrics are indeed drool worthy. They look fabulous dancing around the pretty cheater square. I too, like the border "au natural". Your Dutch Beauty is a lovely finish. May I ask if I could join your group of mini quilt makers each month? It does sound like fun. My blog is:
    https://sarahlizzies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you may jump in any time! No pressure just plain fun! If I miss your post, just let me know and I will link you in.

      Delete
  4. oh yes indeed they are gorgeous fabrics and this is one gorgeous mini...i simply love it...i have a small stash of the dutch chintzes and they are all beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful mini! Sometimes a border is the perfect finishing touch, and other times it is just superfluous. Those prints are drool-worthy! Are they available in her shop?
    The cheater square was a brilliant choice. Lovely finish!
    I am glad you have your internet, and hope you are safe and cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she doesn't sell them in the shop. She ordered them online. Not sure where. I will ask next time I see her.

      Delete
  6. Such lovely fabrics... they are so happy to be featured in this pretty mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet and so yummy. Those fabrics are wonderful and the center square accents everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those Dutch fabrics what a treat. Your mini is great especially how cleverly you used that applique in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming little quilt! Those Dutch prints are beautiful.
    I'm a whiff again this month. I think I'm resolving to work on my larger UFOs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Janet and Quilting Babcia--absolutely delightful! Love, love, love your January mini with those gorgeous Dutch fabrics and the cheater center. The large toile print is perfect for the binding. Wow! you got a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy, I just love this one. It makes me smile. Thank you for all of your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! The Dutch prints are beautiful and I love your simple toile border choice. Very nice mini. Here in Topsfield we got a lot of snow and the wind was fierce a few times but thankfully we did not lose power. Supposed to warm up for a few days! Look forward to that.. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful! I want to reach through the computer screen and pet it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. J'ao réalisé un quilt mystère (Quiltmania) il y a quelques années à l'aide des tissus "Dutch Heritage". Il me reste assez bien de morceau et je pense que je pourrais faire le quilt que tu présente.
    Comment puis-je obtenir le mini de janvier ?
    J'aime suivre les articles de ton blog et sans doute beaucoup de choses m'échappent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy, I am just loving your mini quilts! So much so that I think I’d like to jump in and make some too. It’s fun to get a quick finish and my projects usually take forever! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Hugs, Tazzie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, I am just loving your mini quilts! So much so that I think I’d like to jump in and make some too. It’s fun to get a quick finish and my projects usually take forever! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Hugs, Tazzie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy precioso mini, todos tus trabajos absolutamente divinos. Gracias por compartir
    Saludos desde Gijón -España.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect little quilt for January, Wendy! Perfect name … Blizzard.My gosh, did you appliqué that tiny gorgeous center?!? Mind boggling. I got stalled on mine. My minis (yes, two) will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! The fabrics are so charming! Love this!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great mini. You could a fooled me on that cheater block and those fabrics are soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful mini in your signature style and with such lovely fabrics. I'm not in mini making mode right now... but enjoy seeing all the minis you are linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a cute quilt. I didn't realize the center was a cheater panel. The list of mini quilt makers keeps growing beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dutch Delight is stunning (of course!) and I love your "stones" too. Something special about the Dutch prints I can't put my finger on but I love them.

    ReplyDelete