Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Up close and Personal

 

I’ve had some requests for more closeups of certain quilts from my visit to “Fabric of a Nation”. We had such a fabulous day! I still feel like I was dreaming. 

Sensational "Crazy City" quilt
Extremely talented quilter here! 
I can't imagine the math it took to create that border.

My favorite wool quilt. The workmanship in this one is beyond my comprehension. Remember this is all wool and made around 1830!
Border 

The Rowley - Century of Progress quilt. This one has always intrigued me. It was great to see it in person.


This was my favorite block of Harriet Powers. It probably spoke to me because of all those appliqued circles, but I just loved it. I knew her quilts were machine appliqued, but to see them close up was eye opening. She was a remarkable woman.

I'm not much for Victorian crazy quilts, but this is one of my favorites. It is really a pictorial crazy quilt and it was fabulous. I think this was Fotini's favorite.

I didn't even post this glorious Baltimore style quilt yesterday. There are so many Baltimore types in museums, but I have to admit this was one of the best. The workmanship floored me. This was hanging next to my "wool" quilt so I didn't give it the attention it deserved.

I tried to capture this whitework spread, but couldn't get a good overall shot. The quilting in this was described as 20 stitches to the inch. I couldn't get close enough to verify this, but I'm not going to doubt it! The relief look is achieved by double line quilting with a cord inserted from the back running in the channel. Remarkably done!

And that concludes our "up close and personal" portion of the program. Hope you get a chance to work on your own masterpiece today! 



7 comments:

  1. WOW! All incredible quilts. I love the hair of the Harriet Powers quilt block you shared. I don't think I remember hearing it was machine appliqued! A woman after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other post wouldn't let me comment..... How wonderful to see the old quilts..... Thankyou for sharing..... Lucky you got there with the snow......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are just stunning. Can't even imagine seeing them in person!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy these are AMAZING! I can zoom in and see such wonderful detail in the fabrics and quilting. It's absolutely fabulous! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg I am so happy you got to see these iconic quilts up close! wow. Such amazing artistry and creativity.
    Thanks for the closeups.
    crazy City is one of my all time favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these close ups. It looks like an absolutely fabulous show!

    ReplyDelete