Friday, February 23, 2018

Mary Elizabeth Kinch - Foothills Quilt Challenge

When Mary Elizabeth Kinch posted this quilt as one of her 12 Days of Christmas quilts, I immediately fell in love with it. I can’t explain why as it is not my favorite color scheme and I don’t often like a wide sashing. It just caught my eye.

So, when she announced that she was going to do a sew-a-long with this one, I just couldn’t say no (I know, I need professional help).

I have decided to reduce the size of the block from 12" to 8" and – wait for it – yes, I am going to make it in the potholder method.

Although its palette is much more complex, it "reads" red, white and blue to me. Because I am in charge of "veteran's quilts" for our group, I use this color scheme a lot so I pondered different color choices. I was really tempted to do this in neons, but I thought my Noah and Matilda blocks might be jealous! As with all my potholder quilts, I started to conjure up names with some sort of cooking reference. Given that there are a lot of Flying Geese in these blocks I decided on “Gooseberry Pie”.

The color scheme reflects the colors of the gooseberry plant. Brown for the stems, bright green for the leaves, pink for the blossoms and red, purple, peach and soft yellow for the fruit. The plant is often a host for white pine rust. Since our state flower is the White Pine cone and tassel, it is illegal to plant gooseberries in Maine. In high school when our out of state friends were getting busted for growing “pot”, we were getting pinched for planting gooseberries!
Mary Elizabeth shows us how she makes her Flying Geese units (here). When I am making many in the same colorway, I usually piece them in a square in a square and trim them down to the size I need. 
When we were making our Stars in a Time Warp with Barbara Brackman a few years ago, she asked us to think like a 19th century quilter. I have tried to implement that in this sew-a-long with the carefree cutting of stripes and plaids and adding a little variety to each block (often a necessity in the 19th century, just plain fun in the 21st). I did not make the obvious mistake in block #2. No one makes more mistakes than me, but they are all quite by accident and I never leave them in the quilt (ah, o.k. once or twice when I didn't notice it until after it was quilted!).


Because I am doing this in such different colors from the original, I printed the photo of the quilt in black and white so I just need to be mindful of value. I'm not extremely happy with either block #1 or #2. I'll keep tweaking, so everything may change with the next few blocks!

Even if you are not up for the sew-a-long, you will enjoy reading Mary Elizabeth Kinch’s tutorial (here)She is a wonderful writer. Her Blog and her books are always fun to read. As she says in her post, "we can learn so much from this quilt". I've learned a lot already! Have fun!

19 comments:

  1. So clever of you to print a b&w. I always say contrast does all the heavy lifting.
    what a great way to make flying geese....never thought of that.
    happy friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this quilt too--but I just cannot do a SAL right now. I love your clever way of making your geese fly! Your color choices are such a lovely array...looking forward to seeing this come together hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell in love with this quilt too. I printed up rotary cutting on EQ and I plan on pulling fabrics today. I love how you make your flying geese. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Lori posted about this SAL I was sorely tempted, but somehow I actually resisted. (I think my resistance muscle is getting stronger, because I am doing more of it lately.)
    It will be enjoyable watching you recreate this, Wendy--especially in your signature potholder method.
    I have never seen that flying geese construction method, either. Looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very clever and unique way to create flying geese - what will they think up next?? Wonderful color range of fabrics you have chosen - my kind of colors...have fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are so sweet and I love that "pop" of cheddar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt! I also saw it first on Lori’s blog. I love your fabric choices. That is a great way to make flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't have to wait too long to know in what style you'd be making this wonderful quilt. What a great idea to make the black and white copy so you'd be working with value rather than color. I should do that more often. Looks like you're off to a fun start thinking like a quilter a century ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fell in love with this quilt too, and if I finaly make it, I will reduce the size like you. Very beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your blocks look great! I've signed up for the sew along but like you, I am going to make my blocks smaller. I haven't had a chance to get started yet, but after seeing your fabrics and blocks I think I need to get in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy thanks for the share. I have signed up for this QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI, this is the new guild member, Meliss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I am really in trouble. I hadn't seen the original posting about this project but I saw that Kevin made some gorgeous blocks and am pretty tempted....
    You're a true enable, you know??
    I have finished my January little mini quilt! Will post a picture in a day or two.
    xxxxs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, there's just something about this quilt that feels special! LOVE your colorway that you're doing it in! It really is so tempting. I've almost started in myself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't resist either. I've made 5 blocks now and working on #6. They're addictive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see why you were drawn to this quilt; it is particularly appealing. I like your new colourway too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, my name is Debra, and I have a problem. I seem to join in every sew along that comes along. lol
    I do love your color choices, and that you're doing it in the potholder style. Gooseberries sound good, though I didn't know that about your state. Can't wait to see what you come up with! I know it will be well-baked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
    Thanks for sharing
    หนังชีวประวัติ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting - I haven't seen that method of making FG before...I'll have to look into it further.... I had to come back and read the background for your Foothills/Gooseberry Pie quilt. I really like this block and can see why you just had to join in! And now I have a question about the 'potholder' method...it seems like it's a 'quilt as you go' method... and one where the blocks are completely bound before joining? I haven't heard of that particular method either! You learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete