Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A little of this and that


I hope you all had a fun and productive National Quilting Day on Saturday. My local quilt group hosted an all day quilt-a-thon. Of course I forgot my camera so I have no photos to show you other than my “Gooseberry Pie” blocks. 
I should be stitching them together soon!

While cleaning my sewing machine, I discovered a great way to keep bobbins and spools together. Yup, the simple Q-tip! 

And, saving the best for last… I know I have said it before, but quilters are the best! Karen (Log Cabin Quilter) asked me if I would want a few of her orphan blocks for my next "pot luck" quilt. Look at these!!! I have enough for an entire quilt right here. 
And, some of these applique blocks are just too nice to be lumped into a pot luck quilt so they will have a special home. Karen's generosity started me thinking of how much fun it would be to do a Blog swap of orphan blocks.  I think it would be fun to see what we all do with other quilter's "orphans. I'll have to ruminate for a while, but I would appreciate hearing how you feel about it.


Randy's (Barrister's Block) basket quilt for Cecile's (Patchwork Inspirations) basket sew-a-long was so inspirational! 






20 comments:

  1. I agree about Randy's basket quilt. I love how she used some of her stash of blocks to fill in and create her quilt.
    I think an orphan block swap sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really interesting challenge! Randy's basket quilt is fantastic. She really did a great job pulling all the elements together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. prettiest orphans i've seen...nann is taking most of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I'm the owner of a slew of orphan blocks! Want me to send you some??? VBG
    Thanks for the shout-out on my basket quilt. I can't say I'm loving it yet...maybe it's too close in time to my sweating to get it done in time!! And together!
    PS: I LOVE your Mary Elizabeth blocks. I am planning to start that -- any day now. Don't know that mine will follow along with the original color scheme though
    xxxxs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blocks, those are so fun. And wowsers on the orphan block windfall. That is going to be fun to play with. I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Gooseberry blocks! It amazes me how you get them all quilted and bound. Such swift work, and expertly done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accidentally hit "Publish" before I was finished. :)
    What a treasure trove of blocks from Karen. I know you will do them justice.
    The orphan block swap sounds fun, but I don't know that I have any to trade. I have sent mine to a thrift store, given them to daughters--even sent some to Randy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Gooseberry blocks are lookin' good :) Wow! Karen was so generous and I know you will do amazing things with her beautiful blocks. An orphan block swap could be a lot of fun--if you have any to swap, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post!
    Karen is so generous and what treasures you have received.
    Love the Gooseberry blocks and the wonderful red binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Gooseberry blocks look beautiful!
    How fortunate to receive such an amazing stack of quilt blocks from Karen. She is as generous as she is talented. It will be fun to see how you use them in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your gooseberry blocks. The bright geese look so cheerful. What an intriguing swap... Karen's blocks are lovely and I'm sure you'll do something wonderful with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gooseberry blocks are wonderful. I recognize some older Roberta Horton plaids? You had to dig deep for those. You're going to have fun with Karen's blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those gooseberry pie blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those Gooseberry blocks are coming out great! I have half my blocks done. I also have a few orphan blocks kicking around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The idea of a swap with orphan blocks is wonderful !
    I love your gooseberry blocks too !
    Have fun Wendy !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been the recipient of Karen's orphan blocks too!! Hers are way better than mine!! Mine are orphans for a reason.
    Love the foothills blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your blocks and will love seeing them come together. that Qtip idea is great.
    Can I send you a few UFO blocks too?

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very good idea, it's beautiful, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very good idea, it's beautiful, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty blocks and Randy's quilt. How generous of Karen to give you those blocks. Looking forward to seeing the quilt you create with them.

    ReplyDelete