Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Cooking with Jane

I try to name all my "potholder" quilts with a cooking theme (ie. No Bake Applique, A Baker's Nine, Pan Blackened Applique, etc.). This seems ironic since I hate to cook. So, I am calling this one "Cooking with Jane". I took a few photos of the blocks I have done so far. They look so neat and tidy in the box don't they!

I have hand quilted as many as I can, but some of the ones with tiny pieces I have machine quilted in the ditch before hand quilting the larger, more open parts. This little star is machine quilted in the tiny center and then hand quilted around it.


Jane's original quilt has varied widths of sashing, but it seems that most "Baby Janes" have used a 1/2" to 3/8" sashing. My blocks finish 5" with the 1/4" binding so when they are all whip stitched together it will appear that they have a 1/2" sashing in each row. 


I think my favorite part of making these potholder quilts is playing with all the finished blocks. I will pieced these together in the same order as Jane did, but it is fun to play with different layouts! Sorry this next one is a bit blurry.



Here are a few of the back of the blocks, you can see the binding better.


And here are a few that need still need to be stitched. Since there are a lot of bindings in a potholder quilt, it is imperative that your binding corners come to a nice sharp point, otherwise when you join them together you will have a gap at the intersections. Of course one way to deal with bad corners is to stick a yo-yo or button at each intersection, and yes, I have done that before! 


It's like eating peanuts, one just leads to another! Hope I have inspired you to give it a try!







4 comments:

  1. Your blocks are beautiful. I think this way would not seem like such a daunting task compared to making a traditional quilt. I just might be tempted to make another Jame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are certainly fun to make but another one? I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting process and a revival of the pot holder quilts!
    Your block and work are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this brings a whole new meaning to the term quilt as you go. I didn't like that process, but this looks very do-able. I might just do that with my Jane blocks! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete