I’m late to the mask making party. A mere 2 weeks ago, authorities (at least locally) were saying how plain cotton masks were of no use in protecting against Covid-19. Now that the theory is “any port in a storm”, I am on a mission to create as many as I can. I rarely use batiks, but since the thread count is so high, I dug out the remnants of the 200 napkins I made for my daughter's wedding. Happy to see these pieces will now be used. I sent the first 3 to my children in Florida. Many of my non quilting friends have asked me for them so I don’t think I will have any problem keeping myself busy! I used every spare shoe lace I had in the house and now I have to actually make the strings – time consuming, but manageable.
To keep from going mask crazy, I have alternated my time with more fun sewing. I finally finished my Bea and Cecile quilt-a-long star quilt. I just felt is was blah without the applique. The bird by itself just wasn’t cutting it either so I added a little vine and spring tulip to the bottom. Now I love it! I am calling it "Distelfink".
The backing was a glorious piece I bought on the sale (I mean real sale - like $1.00 per yard) table in the gift shop of the New England Quilt Museum. So happy to have found a perfect use for it. The close up is a better representation of the color.
I’ve been working on my little doll quilt for the Humble Quilts swap too. No photos until we all link up, but I am loving it. Hope I can let it go at the end of the month!
Stay strong and quilt on!