Monday, April 2, 2018

A Fabulous visit and a Big Apology!


Apology first… I have had major internet problems for the past 4 days. I am just now getting back online at home and on the island where I work. So, I apologize to all of you who have diligently made and posted your monthly mini quilts. I plan to get a post up tomorrow and link up with all of you. If I miss yours, please let me know. I hope to have InLinkz working by next week. (one technological step at a time!)

Now for the fantastic visit… My friend Karen and I had the incredible pleasure of meeting Laura Lane (Collections Manager, NEQM) and Gladi Porche (GladiQuilts) at the NewEngland Quilt Museum on Saturday. To quote Karen “It was right up there as one of the best days ever!”.
We arrived as the doors opened and went directly to Gladi’s quilts. We had planned to meet Laura and Gladi for lunch but we had no idea that we would get a private gallery talk of the entire exhibition! Gladi went through every quilt, one by one. I cannot express how much I enjoyed this. I have admired her work for years and it was such a treat to see these gems in person and to hear about her thought processes and techniques.
Laura brought her “Foothills” (Mary Elizabeth Kinch) quilt-a-long blocks and we laid them out on the table. Wow! They are fantastic and you can see them on the Facebook page (here).

The exhibition of Japanese quilts from the 13th Nihon show in Tokyo was in the outer gallery. It is a very diverse group of quilts, from traditional hand work to unique art quilts. And, the little gallery hosts a revolving exhibition of quilts from the museum’s collection which is always fun.

After we were through looking at the quilts (although I could have stayed all day!) we had a delightful lunch together before heading home.

My second apology is that I had to steal images from the internet because I could not get any of the photos off my camera! At first, I thought it was operator error, but I now know I need a new phone! 
If you are anywhere near New England before these quilts come down (April 21 for the Japanese quilts and April 29 for Gladi’s) I would highly recommend a visit. You will NOT be disappointed! If you can’t make it in person, do take some time to visit Gladi’s blog (GladiQuilts). She is an excellent writer as well as a quilter and her blog is always a joy to read.

I hope you all have a great, non-technological day!

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh what a great outing you had! I wish I could have joined you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I bet it was a really fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura is the best, isn't she ! I am very blessed to have her as a friend via Jo's Little Women Club and now Kindred Stitcher's Club.
    Her knowledge and insight into antique quilts and fabrics is invaluable. Your tour and lunch sounded great !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Days like this are extra special and gets everyone excited to create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat to hear Gladi talk about her quilts. I saw the exhibit and was so impressed with her skills, vision and workmanship. It is a fabulous exhibit and I'm grateful that I saw it.
    The Japanese quits were great too - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, I went to the museum to see the Japanese quilts and Gladi's quilts on March 20. Two very memorable exhibits. I went with my best friend and we had a marvelous day. I am in awe of the level of expertise displayed. Beth F

    ReplyDelete