Monday, December 16, 2019

The age old question

Warning – this is a wordy post, but the subject has always intrigued me.


Frances O’Roark Dowell of Quilters Alliance posed an interesting question on The Quilter’s Alliance Story Circle Facebook page today (here). Her question was “Is quilting an art or a craft?”

I had written an article many years back about this very subject and since it is far too wordy for a Facebook post, I will publish it here. Grab a cup of tea (or two!) and if you make it all the way to the end, let me know what you think about the subject.

I wrote this in 2004 in response to a lecture on “art quilts” that I had recently attended. I was most assuredly one of the only (if not the only) traditional quilter in the room. The only “traditional” quilters named were African Americans whose fame has sky rocketed in the last few years with the Gees Bend exhibition. Amish quilts were noted as being the quintessential art form with their simple designs and striking colors. Very little was said about today’s traditional quilter and how we are struggling to keep traditions alive. The focus was more on the statements that today’s art quilters are making.


Artist or Quilter?
By Wendy Caton Reed

It finally happened to me! Someone asked me one of the most intriguing and perhaps complex questions posed to today’s quiltmakers; “Do you consider yourself an artist?”

I’ve always considered myself to be a quilter. My mother’s an artist and although I’ve often thought some of her talent should have rubbed off onto me, I can’t sketch a rock with a kindergarten crayon. So maybe there is more to it than just the ability to draw. I decided to seek help from my local library. I picked up the largest dictionary I could carry (c 1910) and this is what I found:

Art n. 1.a. The use of imagination and skill to create beautiful things. b. Works, as paintings, which result from this creativity. 2. A field of artistic activity, as literature, music, or dance. 3. A nonscientific branch of learning, esp. one of humanities. 4. A craft or trade and the methods employed in it. 5. A practical skill or knack. 6. The quality of being cunning: artfulness.

Quilt n. A padded bed cover. - quilt v. – quilting n.

Being the highly analytical person that I am, I took it step by step to see which word described me best.

We’ll start with “Art” (since it comes first alphabetically).

1.     a. The use of imagination and skill to create beautiful things. I don’t want to “toot my own horn”, but I think I do create some beautiful quilts and I have one of the most active imaginations of anyone I know, so I guess we can put a check by this one!
b. Works, as paintings, which result from this creativity. Even though I don’t see the word “quilt” in this definition, I certainly have plenty of “works” around the place (in one stage or another), so this is a check too.

2.     A field of artistic activity, as literature, music, or dance. Wow, this is
      a weird one! They don’t even mention painting, let alone quilting.
      Maybe they just ran out of room or they figured 3 examples were
   enough and people could draw their own conclusions, so we’ll put a
   check by this one as well.

3.     A nonscientific branch of learning, esp. one of humanities. This could be a tricky one because although there are thousands of people out there teaching “quilting” and even a few institutions of higher learning that have quilts and quilt history as part of their curriculum (usually lumped in with women’s studies or material culture studies), there usually is some math involved. I don’t think there is enough math involved to take it out of the humanities column, but I’m going to leave this one blank anyway.


4.     A craft or trade and the methods employed in it. Gee, I think this fits best of all. I spend more time quilting than I do anything else. When I don’t have a needle in my hand, I have visions of the next quilt dancing around my brain (even in my sleep!). There are hundreds of new ideas each year in our “trade or craft”, and although I have learned a new trick or two over time, my “methods employed” haven’t changed much in my 50+ years of quiltmaking. This is a definite check.

5.     A practical skill or knack. Can’t get much more practical than something to cover the bed and keep you warm on those cold Maine nights and some people say I have a natural knack for it. Check again.

6.     The quality of being cunning: artfulness. I don’t think this one has anything to do with the subject here, but I don’t want to leave anything out so I’ll answer it anyway. My father used to say I was cunnin’, but that is Maine for “cute” (or at least that’s what I was always lead to believe). However, since it really doesn’t have anything to do with art or quilts, I guess we’ll have to leave it blank.

Now, we’ll go on to the word “Quilt”:

1)    A padded bed covering. Granted this dictionary was dated 1910 and things in the quilt world have certainly changed since then, but I just can’t believe that “art” gets 7 full definitions (don’t forget #1 had an a. and b.) and this is all they can find to describe “quilt”?

If I had to choose a title based on a dictionary’s literal definitions, I would be a fool not to pick the more substantial and far more romantic “Artist” (heck, “Quilter” isn’t even a word in this dusty old book).

So, I think I would have to say that I am an artist who creates quilts. I make them because it makes me happy. I love the whole process; designing, color choice, fabric shopping, pattern play, piecing, appliqué and quilting. I love giving my quilts to friends, relatives and people in need. My grandfather used to say that wood warms you twice: once when you chop it and again when you burn it! That is the way I feel about my quilts.

And as far as quilter vs artist, who says you can’t be both!


So, what do you think? How far have we really come? How far do we want to go? My feeling is there is just as strong a gap between “traditional artist” and “art quilter” as there is between “art quilter” and “traditional quilter”.

Have a very quilty day!

18 comments:

  1. I think there should be more precision in our vocabulary to describe the nuances. For example, our quilts are called "hand made," though most/many of us use sewing machines. "Hand made" refers to not-mass-produced. And "home made" is usually pejorative rather than admiring. I have come to call myself a quilt maker because, well, that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854





      This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854

      Delete
  2. Great article and a fascinating topic for sure. I feel I am an Artist in my Mind and I Quilter in my Heart
    That's about as close as I can come to figuring it out for myself.
    I'll be back to see how others answer this probing question.
    Your writing is fabulous and you are an incredible Artist/Quilter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always considered myself a quilter or technically a hand quilter as I do mine by hand. But some years back I was asked to sell one of my quilts at a museum gift shop that I had been volunteering at and I said yes and they listed me as a "textile artist" and I was impressed - since then I have sold at least 20 quilts over the last 20 years through consignment to them - but if I tell someone I am a textile artist they need to be told what that is LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thought provoking! I don't mind being called an artist or a quilter. But do think I'm an artist who quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your last statement is so true. There is a big difference in the mindset of an "art quilter" and a "traditional quilter" too. I've always considered myself an artist whose medium is cloth. Just like anything there are differing levels of expertise and excellence. We are all trying to improve whether to become more artistic or simply to improve the quality of our work. Great article. I appreciate your blog because it makes me a better quilter/ artist/ craftsman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will say what my weaving mentor, Barbara Whyte, told my years ago. I'm not an artist but I am a darned good craftsperson." And I'm proud of being one. When I was designing cloth, I soon discovered there wasn't much new under this sun. When I was a Dyer, I soon discovered that every colour combination had likely been used before. And when I started quilting, after 25 years of weaving, spinning and dyeing, I made the decision not to design my own quilts. And pretty much, that's how I happily roll. Not always, but most of the time. But I have always prided myself at being the best technical craftsperson I can be...and pretty much I've done that. I think some need to be called "artist" and that's OK because some fit that criteria. But some of us don't have that need. And that's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I try the artistic approach I find profound disappointment in the results, so no, I don't consider myself an artist. What I am is a textile craftsperson, former spinner and weaver, now a quilting craftsperson who focuses on "making" to the best of my ability, finding joy in the simple pleasures of tactile connection with needle, thread and cloth, and in creating something a son or daughter or grandchild can hold close and feel the love that went into its creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I have looked at myself differently over my quilting career. First, generally, a craftsman, but now as an artist that works with textiles, needles and threads. It fulfills me and satisfies my creativity and even brings pleasure to others. Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the article! If course we are artists who make quilts. Nothing as beautiful as our quilts can be anything but art. Your applause quite are certainly art, high art in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, I think if I worked exclusively from kits and made patterns as written, I would consider myself a quilter/craftsperson. But since most of the time I am working from stash, switching up colors, values, and design elements, and often designing my own way of doing things,I feel I am applying my artistic touch. Yes, I am an artist. That's my story and I'm.....you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow along with what you have written and nod my head yes a lot. In the end though, I'm terribly uncomfortable with calling myself an artist. I just don't want to ever have to defend the term in conjunction with what I do. Creativity is a serious passion and I adore exploring color as it pertains to quilting. I love the connection between using my hands to make something beautiful, thoughtful, comforting {possibly timeless} and also usable, all at the same time. That's why I prefer the term 'Maker' though I don't have a problem with whatever anyone else wants to call themselves. There is absolutely no doubt that many quilters are indeed artists and deserve to be celebrated as such! It's a crying shame that a quilt is still considered a 'padded bed cover' or even worse, no better than a 'blanket' in this day and age. How condescending is that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was following patterns, I called myself a quilter, and that stuck. But now I am trying to branch out to create my own designs, and even dabbling with a big of drawing and painting and junk journaling. Although I am bad at those latter things (because I am new at them), I think they have opened up the field enough for me to call myself an artist now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your analysis! I agree... I am an artist who quilts.
    Or my medium as an artist is fabric, rather than paints.
    NICE job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Years ago I made a quilt for my sis and her hubby. They have also gone to a number of quilt shows with me to admire the quilt. Every fall when they put my quilt on their bed they thank me again for the beauty of it, and tell me after the quilt shows that they like the quilts I make better than the ones in the shows. And theirs is a simple Maple Leaf pieced quilt. In high school and college I majored in Home Economics (mostly sewing) and Art. I have done printmaking, drawings as gifts, painted in watercolor, acrylic and oils, taken weaving classes and pottery. If I had space I would be painting now. But quilt making, ah, the wonderful feel of the hand quilted product is so … how do you say it? WONDERFUL!? Just made a little quilted tree quilt for our window this week. No room for anything that has to take up floor/counter/shelf space. Quilt-making is my medium at this time and I love it! I never follow a pattern exactly, each gets my own personal twist. I hate kits or classes where you have to use THEIR fabrics... If I wanted something that looked just like someone else's I would not be me. Brought up by a mother who sewed most of my clothes, knitted most of my sweaters, I learned early to be an individual, not a cookie cutter of someone else's … whatever. Still dancing to my own drum, taking the road less traveled. I guess I am a quilt artist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy, thank you for a beautifully written and thought provoking post on a question I wonder about too from time to time! As a traditional quilter, is what I do a craft, or an art? Is this a hobby (definitely not a mere hobby), a vocation? (We know it's a passion!). My husband thinks I should call myself a "textile artist" - a bit pretentious?? I argue that I'm a craftsperson, a quilt maker. I do search for the right words when asked "what do you do?" especially now that I don't have a regular job! I don't have the answer for myself but I'm searching and your article puts "I'm an artist" on the list of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i want to testify about the great spell caster called Dr Azuka my husband and i have been married for 5 years now we don't have a child and the doctor told us i can't give birth because my womb have been damaged due to wrong drugs prescription this got me so worried and my husband was not happy so he decided to get married to another girl and divorce me i was so sad i told my friend about it she told me about a powerful spell caster she gave me his email address well i never believe in it that much though i just decided to give him a try and he told me it will take 24hrs to get my husband back to me and i will get pregnant i doubted him the 3rd day my husband came back to me and was crying he said he didn't want the divorce anymore 3 weeks after the doctor confirmed that i was pregnant he can also help you contact him via email: Dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com What’s app or call: +44 7520 636249‬



    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854





    This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854

    ReplyDelete