Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Feeling Full and Happy!


I'm feeling quite satisfied as the last of the 5" blocks are completed. Only one more 10" block to arrive (and it has a story all its own) before I start to assemble the beast. Enjoy the final fives as we head into the home stretch.  

Cyndi Black, Litchfield, Maine (Busy Thimble) Cyndi and I have been friends since we started the Maine state quilt research project (Maine Quilt Heritage) back in 1986. Her shop (Busy Thimble) is my “happy place”. I can honestly say that she has never made a quilt I didn’t love. Her work is amazing and I cherish her friendship. Cyndi sent me 6 to choose from and they are all outstanding. I went with this Dear Jane orphan as it reminded me of a whirling virus. Thanks Cyndi! 
oops, I realized I forgot to put the label on before taking the photo. I used this cheater as the Log Cabin is one of Cyndi's favorite blocks.

Donette Beimborn, Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. Donette’s block had one more outside border that I had to sacrifice to make it fit into the “baby” category. It was the last of the logical choices for cutting it down. I think it looks just fine in its diminutive size. Thanks Donette! 



Kathryn Conway, Bath, Maine. 3/9/24 - 1/31-20. I included this block from my friend Kathryn who passed away this winter, just one month shy of her 96th birthday. For 25 years we quilted, dined and fabric shopped together on a regular basis. I miss her very much and although I am thankful she did not have to endure all this madness, I know in my heart she would have taken it in stride like every other challenge she faced in life. She was a prolific quilter and donated so many of her quilts to those in need. Thank you dear friend! 



Laurie LaBar, Dresden, Maine. Although Laurie’s mother was a wonderful and prolific quilter, Laurie is relatively new at it which is why I was so happy that she could provide me with this little gem. She is Chief Curator of History and Decorative Arts at the Maine State Museum and we have worked on a few fun projects together. She is currently making a fabulous pictorial quilt as a tribute to her Mom that I hope to be able to share with you when it is finished. Thanks Laurie! 



Linda Liggins, Laurel Hill, Florida. I love this blue fabric so I really wanted to just add something to the outside to make it larger, but in the end, it was the perfect block to cut down to the 5” size. Thanks Linda for making my job easier! 



Gladi Porsche, Lee, New Hampshire. (GladiQuilts) I consider Gladi to be one of the most talented quilters I know. Her sense of color, pattern and design are truly amazing. Her quilts have been in many publications over the years, but the photos never do them justice. If you ever get the chance to see one of her quilts in person you will know what I mean. Gladi sent me 4 of these little appliqued blocks and it was tough to choose just one. The other 3 will go into my next “pot luck” quilt. Thanks Gladi! 


 Stay tuned for the final bite!

21 comments:

  1. every one a winner wendy! and i second that about gladi's quilts...she was the featured quilter at maine quilts one year and i loved every one of her quilts...not just beautiful but perfectly executed as well...and it's true, busy thimble is indeed a happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing community quilt you are making!! So personal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL the blocks are absolutely awesome !!
    You've done a fabulous job !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commend you for working through these gifts in such a timely manner. What wonderful gifts they are! Perfect for a yummy "dessert."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a delight to read your posts with your little stories to accompany the blocks. You truly have a community quilt combining so many different blocks, so many different quilts from so many different places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful blocks holding memories of quilting friends from near and far. I can hardly wait to see the final block and hear its story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been fascinating to see what everyone has contributed to the "supper". Coming from near and far, so many have wanted to sit and be a part of the meal. I have enjoyed the stories of the contributors and look forward to seeing everything come together at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say again tht you have a wonderful collection of cheater prints for the block backings. I have been following along on your Community Supper journey and think it has been oh so interesting. Not only the variety of blocks but your stories about each person. I would like to see you make yourself a journal style book with photos and those stories included. You could just print out your blog posts. Or if you have a ton of spare money, one of those fancy printed books that some people do on a yearly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Wendy, for your kind words about me! Glad I was able to contribute something to what is going to be a wonderful quilt, full of meaning for you. I look forward to seeing it some day! Gladi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving all these blocks and their stories. I look forward to every installment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love every word of this, and all the blocks. Special wonderful quilters! I remember seeing Gladi's quilts at NEQM and they knocked my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been so fun and interesting! I'm very excited to see all the blocks coming together into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum yum yum
    The all you can eat buffet is the best!!
    I've really enjoyed watching all these little blocks come to life.
    This is going to be a delicious quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many quilters have come together for your Community Supper! It can't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these blocks are so sweet. I'd gain pounds and pounds if your blocks were real food!
    Thanks for doing such an exceptional job, Wendy!!
    Love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So wonderful that you were able to keep focused on this sweet project. You've had an amazing amount of blocks donated! Good for you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Wendy! Every block comes with interesting details and you have introduced me to so many talented quilters through your posts and links! Thanks so much for the tour. I can't wait to see them all together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've received some beautiful blocks, Wendy -- well, in truth, they're all beautiful! But what amazes me is how quickly you've been able to layer and quilt them AND the variety of fabrics you have for the backs. I'm looking forward to seeing all the blocks together. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great blocks! I'm so sorry you lost your special long time friend and it's lovely that you have a memorial block in your community quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  21. I frequently get cold sores(which lasts for 5-6 days on my lips and its painful both physically and mentally) .. As a bodybuilder, I basically get outbreak due to the daily pressure and heat in the body.. Recently I stumbled upon my salvation. I found a herbal remedy to cure hsv completely, in just 4weeks ..

    I got to know about Dr Utu after seeing a lady's testimony online. I reached the doctor and I ordered for herpes herbal medicine. He sent the herbs to me and I started making use of them. In just 2days, the cold sores are cleared. 4weeks after medication, I went to the hospital for test of cold sores and it was completely NEGATIVE.

    By following every prescription, i was able to cure my cold sore in less than 4weeks. 100% natural herbs no after effect.
    Note: Please do let others know if this work for you.
    The doctor's email is drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    Note : follow all instructions accordingly..

    If you are sure that you have benefited from this African herbs be courageous to inform others.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete