Tuesday, January 4, 2022

What will we do in 2022?

 I’m not going to choose a “word” for the coming year as I have done in the past. This year needs far more love and understanding than one word could muster. I’m not making any resolutions either. I just don’t want to set myself up for any further failures. 

 They say what you do on New Year’s Day sets the tone for the rest of the year. That works for me since I spent the day planning the borders on “Bird’s Nest Soup”. My initial plan was to applique little toile vignettes onto this lovely Marcus “aged muslin”. I spent many hours making a huge mess before deciding that this was not going to work for me! 

My creative mess 

On to Plan B. 

 I kept the aged muslin and tried adding little stones of color to it instead. There are actually two borders here and I will cut them apart after I quilt them.


Not perfect I’m learning to like it. And, “drum roll please”, I even tried something new.

 Back in May, Barb Vedder (FunWith Barb) and Randy Danto (Barrister’s Block) and I spent a lovely weekend on Plum Island in Newburyport, MA. Randy showed us how she stitches her incredible wool pieces and Barb demonstrated her glue applique technique. She even gave each of us a special bottle of her glue.  I had just finished basting circles onto blocks I was working on so I put the bottle on my sewing table to try later… much later! My friend Gladi (GladiQuilts) posted about how much she enjoyed it when she tried it, and still it sat on my table. (She doesn't sell her glue by mail because it is liquid, but I do hope you will get a chance to take a workshop from her. We are lucky that she is coming to our show in Maine this summer!)

 So… when it came time to baste my little stones onto my borders, I grabbed the bottle. Wow! What a time saver! As they used to say on TV, a little dab will do you. I tapped out a few drops on each piece and pressed with hot iron to set and voila!


There is no stiffness at all so it does not need to be soaked out. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks. Thanks so much Barb! I highly recommend it even for us die hard traditionalists.

 And, just a tiny plug for our dear Barb… She will be a featured artist at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, MA from January 18 through April 9. I can’t wait to see these beauties in person! Click (here) for more information.

 I also replaced the block with the duplicate bird. You can see where the hole is, the yellow underneath is the back of a quilt this one is resting on.

New bird 


In fact, there are about 40 quilts on this bed (smaller quilts are stored elsewhere). It is in my sewing room annex and it is great for storing quilts - no fold lines! Of course, it means that I don’t have a guest room, but we have lots of hotels nearby – wink! 

 I also spent a few minutes playing with ideas for this year’s sew-a-long with Cecile (PatchworkInspirations) and Corinne. This year’s theme is “sampler quilts”. They are to be 50% pieced and 50% appliqued. Still ruminating!

I hope you all spent New Year’s Day doing what you like. We are all looking forward to a happier and healthier New Year!

 

27 comments:

  1. Glad you got your bird sorted...... Never too old to try new things.... How exciting it will be to go see barbs display....is that the same place your were on display.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also given up a yearly word and resolutions have never been a priority for the new year. They never last very long. With each new year I am blessed with, I try to enjoy and cherish the moment. Sometimes easier said than done, but find it makes me much happier in the long run. Love your pebbly border and how you used the glue basting. Yes, us old dogs can learn a new trick now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried the glue either. Maybe it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. since i am a princess of sorts, 40 quilts is just about right...LOL...yeah great news about barb...i've seen some of her work in person and a well deserved honor...can't wait to see those borders in place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, spending New Years Day auditioning a concept sounds perfect. What you landed on, the stones, will be great! I'm so excited for Barb and her NEQM exhibit. Yes, here's to more love and and understanding in '22!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are going with no resolutions this year - I’m thinking of the same. I hate it when I put a lot of work into something - even a day! - and it doesn’t work 🙁. But it looks like your new borders should be fine! Kudos for finding a new bird to replace the repeat - probably only you would have ever noticed 😊. Glad you tried the glue - it really does save time. Maybe we can meet at the museum to see Barb’s quilts?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet at the museum! I am looking at dates now and will see if we can work something out. What fun!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful to finally find a pathway forward after fiddling for what often seems to be forever. Such an incredible looking quilt and I just love the addition of the birds. Thanks for the reminder about the glue. I keep telling myself that it's time to try some sort of glue once again {didn't like what I used before}. Looking forward to seeing the results of the Sampler QAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it obviously took me quite a while to give it a try, but I am really happy that I did. With as much applique as you do, I think it would really be a time saver.

      Delete
  8. You always leave me in awe, Wendy. After all of those appliqued blocks, your border is another showpiece! What an heirloom this quilt will be!
    How exciting for Barb to have a show at the NEQM. With COVID raging again, I don't know that there is any chance I will be jumping on a plane soon to come see it, but I certainly wish I could. We'll have to see how things play out the next couple of months.
    Of course you are doing Cecile's SAL, too. I opted out this year since 50% had to be applique and each block had to be different. I might have managed appliqueing down a dozen Dresden blocks, but the requirements of this are out of my league.
    Yes, happier and healthier is just the kind of year I am hoping for, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought the applique might have stopped you. If I hadn't already been planning it we could have done it as a team - applique for me and pieced for you! Next time!

      Delete
    2. Oh, wouldn't that be fun? :)

      Delete
  9. Hey Wendy, Happy New Year! I'm with you no resolutions
    Just keep on keepin' on! Nice stack of Toile you've got there. I can see how that might not have worked for that project but I love how your 'Birds Nest Soup! is coming along! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! I've been having so much fun with this quilt. Just cut out some random pieces and stitch them down. Fun!

      Delete
  10. Glad you’ve had fun playing! A little dab of glue works wonders with appliqué. Just wish I lived closer to see Barb’s exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New year! I like your second border idea better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a clever way to do the borders. I would never have thought of it and it is genius! I think the stones are a better solution and they will be great!
    I'm glad you liked the glue tacking. I usually save it for prepared edges, but why?
    I too am doing Cecile's quilt along ;0
    Happy New Year my Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want 2022 to be my year of returning to quiltmaking and this post is a great inspiration. I am joining Cecile’s challenge too. And I am so curious about that glue idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Have fun!

      Delete
  14. I’m terrible at trying new things. I applaud your bravery :0) Your little stones of color are wonderful - I look forward to seeing how the borders look with the quilt center. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! Well, as you may have figured out, I am not great at trying new things either. Hope you get lots of stitching in the new year.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful result! I am slowly catching up on my blog reading and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Your applique and glue tips are making me curious to try them! Thanks for sharing so much gorgeous inspiration. Happy 2022 to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Good to see you are getting a chance to catch up on blogs. I admit that I have slowed down recently too and need to get back to it. Hope your year will be full of fun quilting!

      Delete
  16. I love your blocks and your creativity Wendy !!
    Thank you again and again for your participation to the challenge !
    Happy New Year friend !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your creative approach to making two borders at the same time then cutting them apart after quilting! Amazing! Your substitute bird block is lovely and I know you will be much happier with this one. So glad Barb V's quilts will be at NEQM. Wish I could go! Look forward to seeing what you come up with for Cecile's SAL. Here's to a fabulous 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wendy, that is such a clever idea to do two borders at the same time! Your replacement bird block is lovely and I know you are happy with this one. Wish I could see Barb's exhibit in person. Have fun with Cecile's SAL. Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post. Always a delight to read and visualize. I've loved reading each and every update on the Bird's Nest Soup. I am the worse at knowing a block, fabric or stitch is wrong or not working,yet not taking the time and patience to correct it. :( Like you and the others have mentioned, so happy for Barb! All the best in 2022!
    Rondi
    rondiquilts@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete