Monday, May 30, 2022

Humble Quilts Antique block challenge

 I opted to do Lori’s (HumbleQuilts) antique block challenge before I realized it was due in May which is always a busy time for me. In my usual form, I waited until the last minute to begin and finished just in time! 


 I love anything with madder prints. I had a few of these antique (c1880) blocks, but chose this one as it was the most “square”. And, look at the different width of these seam allowances. 


It’s funny how we get so hung up on perfection. There are so many 19th century blocks that are extremely wonky. I often wonder if that is why they were abandoned. 

So… Wendy to the rescue with this sweet piece. I just trimmed it, added a coping strip and bordered it with simple half square triangles. Obviously, I have no shortage of madder reproductions. I only pulled from my scrap bag. No yardage was harmed during the making of this mini!

 Check out Lori’s blog (HumbleQuilts) to see all the little gems.

And, may we all take some time today to remember those who went before us. 

Happy Memorial Day. 






 

9 comments:

  1. yeah in so many the seam allowance was just a suggestion...LOL...beautiful as ever...heavy hearts this memorial day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific job and I love madders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cohesive and beautiful little quilt. I love seeing the seams on the back of the vintage piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little creation, Wendy! Madder prints make my quilter's heart sing, too. Lovely little finish.
    Just returned from visiting graves on a cold and rainy Memorial Day. Remembering loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the final finish. Madder I'd such a rich color. I smiled at all the SA variations. Perfection can drive you crazy! I'm glad no yardage was harmed in this project. Otherwise, you'd have to purchase more. Well, you should anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! It's a beautiful block despite its varying seam allowances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I embrace the wonk, lol. Love the fabrics in this block and you set it just right as usual.
    I love your family photo and what is that piece at the head of the gravestone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to reach through the computer screen and pat your new creation - just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks great Wendy.........well done...........hope your doing ok

    ReplyDelete