Wednesday, August 17, 2022

What I did on my summer vacation.

 

My summer has been like a 1950’s sci-fi movie – “The Energizer Bunny Meets Slothra”.

 So much has happened while I have been moving at a snail’s pace. My eyes (and energy level) won’t allow me to go into detail now, but exciting news from Dawn Cook-Ronningen (Collector with a Needle). She is having a special exhibition of quilts made from her patterns at Houston.


The amazing news is that her quilt, “Catherine’s Garden” is the featured quilt for the entire show.

It is on the cover of all the show material. Congratulations Dawn!! I'm honored that my Petaluma quilt, made with Dawn’s Fig Leaf and Flowers pattern will be there. 

I’ve been featured in a few magazine articles (I will have to post more on that later) and am included in Pamela Week’s fabulous book on potholder quilting, “Portable Patchwork” (more on that later as well). 


I was so looking forward to our state show this year. I had 2 years of catching up to do. And, my friend Randy (Barrister’s Block) was coming to visit. I had signed up for all 3 of my friend Barb’s (Fun with Barb) classes (before my diagnosis) and there was no way I was going to cancel!

 So… Randy arrived and off we went! It was great to see friends I hadn’t seen since our last in person show in 2019! Barb’s first class was “Pretty Pineapples”. I made a feeble attempt to concentrate and only made it through lunch before spending the rest of the day in bed. The next day’s class was “Liberated Houses”. What fun!! I really wanted to last all day, but alas, Randy whisked me back to the hotel for a long nap to rest up for dinner. The last class was the “Lollipop Garden” quilt. Oh, how I love Barb’s Lollipop Flowers!! I had unfortunately reached my limit so Randy graciously took the class instead. I didn't accomplish a lot, but I think I have a good start on a future monthly mini! 

We had a fun weekend and I was overwhelmed when they presented me with this fabulous quilt to keep me warm and comforted after surgery next month.


They pooled their orphan blocks and Randy assembled it and had it quilted. I adore it and it really helped last week during my plasma infusion sessions (4 hours a day, 4 days in a row). Friends are the best!! 

 

Have a wonderful winding down of summer!!

 

12 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you were able to enjoy the show even if it was in a more limited way. The quilt they made for you is wonderful! I’m so excited for Dawn that her Catherine’s Garden quilt was chosen to be the feature quilt. I’m excited that your gorgeous Petaluma quilt will be part of the exhibit as well. My Radical Rose and Reel quilt will be in Dawn’s exhibit too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from your. I'm glad you were able to attend the classes and get a "Quilty Fix" for a short time. You have great friends. . . what would we do without them? I wish you all the best for your surgery and a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first congratulations on all of your honors, so well deserved wendy....glad you got to enjoy part of the show, better than none so not a total washout....sending best wishes for quick resolution and back to more quilty fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that the 3 of you had the opportunity to be together for the Maine quilt show. Despite not being able to do everything, you were there soaking up everyone's energy and love. That special quilt will remind you how much your friends care and wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you are having such health problems, Wendy. I admire your tenacity in the face of your illness. Praying for blessings for you.
    Congratulations on your inclusion in Pam Weeks's new book, your quilt in the show, and your inclusion in the magazines. I'm looking forward to learning more about those (when you feel well enough to post about them).
    What a treasure of a quilt from Barb and Randy--almost like their loving arms wrapped around you to bolster you through this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the news about Dawn's quilt being selected--read about it on her blog. That is very exciting! And wonderful that you have a quilt included in the display of quilts from her patterns.
    I have been looking at ordering Pam's book. Sounds like I NEED it now!
    So glad you were able to go to Maine Quilts, even if you had to limit participation. Good you had people looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, spending time with friends is so good for the soul! I'm sorry you are still not feeling great. I hope the surgery is successful and you can put this health issue behind you. Congrats on your quilt being in the Houston show! it is a beauty and worthy to be seen my many!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing! All the grit in the world, just to keep on going and try to get in some YOU time. Love that your quilt will be in the show too. So beautiful!:) Get well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a heartwarming post. I admire your positive attitude so much! And how wonderful to reunite with Barb and Randy. What a special quilt they made you. Sending all kinds of good vibes your way as you approach surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh many good news in that post ! I'm glad you were able to spend wonderful time with Barb and Randy ! The quilt is sooooo beautiful ! What a kind present !
    I hope you get better every day....
    I'm sending you big hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to see your quilt at the NEQM and it was so so great to see you in Maine - see you in a couple of weeks, ha ha
    can't wait to feel back to full health.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that your surgery date is getting near and what a wonderful quilt to keep you warm! Hospitals' AC can be cold! Praying for your complete recovery and look forward to visiting this fall!!

    ReplyDelete