Wednesday, October 19, 2022

She's Back! - But where do I start?

 So much has happened since my diagnosis in May. I'd like to say the summer flew by, but in fact, it was indeed a struggle. My surgery (mid-September) was a success and although it will be months before I am back to "normal", I am making progress every day. I'd like to say that I will be all caught up in my blog reading and commenting soon, but I have to be realistic and say that I just hope to move forward as quickly as I can and backtrack when time allows. 

After 6 months of low to no energy for quilting, I am finally back in the sewing room! I am trying to finish all the things I was working on last spring. 😂 Well, I am making an effort anyway. I can see some of the UFO's will be passed on to an unsuspecting friend!

I was able to finish this top consisting of 255 four inch blocks. All the hand appliqued circles were done so I just had to assemble them. Each fabric is a different Betsy Chutchian print. It is a true charm quilt with over 500 different fabrics!! I am calling it "Charming Betsy". I promise to get a better photo after it is quilted and bound! 



I also finished two quilts which I will be donating to the Infusion Center. I have a whole new respect for people who have to go through this process having spent over 40 hours there! 

The center of this quilt was donated by my friend Kathy Boudreau to our UFO auction last year. I don't even remember buying it, but... I simply added the Barb Vedder lolipop flowers and borders and voila! 


This second one was from a kit I bought by Pam Buda called Needle and Thread. Almost all the blocks were done last spring so I just needed to put them together. I will admit, I made it smaller than the original layout. It needed to be this size to fit on laps during infusion treatments. I will use the other blocks in another quilt I'm sure! 

 

And, the most amazing the most amazing thing that happened (while I was sleeping 😂) was this: Thanks to the fabulous Cecile Denis who wrote an article about me and my crazy potholder method for Quiltmania magazine. 
 

I was in very good company with my friend Cyndi Black (Busy Thimble) and her fabulous potholder quilt. 

Cecile not only wrote the article, but put together sample blocks for an article on the construction method. 

And, my friend Laurie LaBar wrote a fantastic article on historic Maine potholder quilts. If you don't already subscribe, I recommend doing so. In my humble opinion it is the best quilt magazine! They always have something for everyone. A great mix of traditional and modern. I am so very honored to be in this fabulous publication. Thank you Cecile and Carol et al! 

That's enough for now, I need a nap! Hope to post more soon!! Hope you all had a super summer. Happy Fall!



15 comments:

  1. Wendy Me alegro que ya estas recuperada!!
    ¡¡ Felicidades !! ver tu trabajo en Quiltmania es un gran placer, soy suscriptora a QUILTmania hace muchos años en su versión Francés. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice finishes wendy no matter when....i agree with you on quiltmania....love it! glad you are back and will soon be full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to read that you are recovering and that you have needle in hand again. You have managed to complete some lovely quilts. I used to purchase and read quilt mania when I was still living in the UK, sadly when it does show up here in NZ it is very expensive so I don't buy it, but I will look out for that issue, and make an exception. Take care, keep mending and keep on sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great when you feel your energy coming back! It is so encouraging! Keep resting as much as you need. I always look forward to your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to read your blog today, read about your recovery, and see the projects you’ve been able to get back to working on! Your charm quilt looks great and I’ll bet it was comforting to hand sew all those circles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! So happy to hear you're back to stitching again as your recovery continues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very glad to hear that you are feeling better and are enjoying sewing again!!! How exciting to have an article in Quiltmania! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Wendy, you are incredible! So good to see you can get back to quilting, even if it is little by little. Charming Betsy is a beauty. I love Betsy's fabrics, and you have paid great tribute to her designs with this charm quilt.
    The two finishes are lovely. Barb's flowers are the perfect touch on that little quilt center. And that is a great design by Pam Buda.
    So glad I was able to obtain a copy of that magazine after seeing it on Barb's block, and I was so happy to see you AND Cyndi in there. Cecile did a wonderful job!
    Happy napping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I told you before, it's well deserved ! And I was very proud to share your wonderful method ! So glad that you're on the road of recovery ! Hugs to you and a huge one for Cyndi !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hip Hip Hooray! Back to sewing. Wow you have been busy. You Charming Betsy looks beautiful. What a fun fabric study!
    I love the string quilt with flowers.... :)
    Some very very very lucky people are going to get these wonderful kits in the infusion center.
    Congratulations again on the fabulous article in QuiltMania
    I am so proud to know you and count you as a quilt friend!!
    Welcome back to sewing and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you are back and busy quilting! Your Charming Betsy quilt is fabulous. So many fabrics--and circles. A true charmer :) Sweet lollipop flowers and Pam's stars are wonderful lap quilts for the infusion center. You are so thoughtful! As for Quiltmania--congratulations! I'll have to get a copy of that magazine so I can read all about you! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy! I am so glad to see your blog post, and just thrilled that you're starting to get back to normal. Don't rush to catch up, we'll be here for you when you're ready. Big love and hugs!
    Tazzie xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on being featured in Quiltmania for your pot holder technique. Being highlighted in that magazine is high praise of your exquisite quilting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend and back to quilting! Enjoy every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping you are soon feeling back to 100%! The infusion quilts are lovely and what a great cause! Sending you healing hugs!

    ReplyDelete