Wednesday, December 21, 2022

The Remains of the Day

 I must confess that lately my normally bubbly "can do" attitude has lost its fizz. It came to a head yesterday when I wanted to Zoom with friends and just couldn't manage it. The plasma infusion the day before had zapped all my energy. So... as I started my little pity party about the things I cannot do right now, then I picked up pen and paper and started a list of things I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I was able to attend my local quilt group meeting a few weeks ago. I had not been since May and it was so good to see everyone! We exchanged Christmas postcards. This is the little one I made.


And this is the one I got made by Nell.

That is my friend Jennifer next to me who had a big show and tell. She cut her long hair really short and it was a hoot for her to reveal it by taking off her Santa hat! My friend Kathy finished quilting my Betsey Chutchian circles quilt. She did an amazing job!!

I was finally able to hand this over to my friend Sharon who will take it to a deserving patient at the infusion center. 

I am also thankful that I was able to spend a few hours with my Seven Sistahs last week. We had such fun. We exchanged gifts and every one of them was so unique. Including my "glass bacon" ornament from Susie Karen.


They all joke about my love of bacon and this will now have a place of honor on my tree. Karen showed her amazing quilt that she started in one of the recent workshops. Look at those circling geese!

Tina showed us this fabulous top made entirely of leftovers.

And this one boggles my mind.

She took the cutoff pieces of my "Dear Jane" failed border and made the most beautiful design for the center.

So creative! of course there is never enough food at our gatherings...

I am thankful that my blog book will cost a whole lot less this year! Every year I use "Blog to Print" and make a book of all my blog posts. It is fun to look back through the year in one easy volume. This year's will be skinny and "cheap" to print! 

I am thankful that I am able to now sit and sew most days. I have to limit it to 15 to 20 minutes at a time in between rests, but I am very thankful to be back in the sewing saddle! 

And, most of all I am thankful for a wonderful family and network of friends who have been with me every step of the way. I feel better already!! 

Enjoy your day and hope you find lots of things to be thankful for!

10 comments:

  1. What a fun show and tell, and a lovely chemo quilt!! I am delighted that you are back in the sewing saddle again. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy winter! Glad you can look at the positives! It is hard. Love that bacon ornament! What a hoot! Merry Christmas my blessed friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very heartwarming post wendy....no doubt many of us have had to focus on thankfulness in difficult times....it is so worth the effort...i can hear the joy in your voice thru your words..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, filled with love and friendship. You look wonderful. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to hear what you are thankful for. I am thankful for a mini quilt I received from you in a quilt swap a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely perspective on being grateful. We could all use more of that. But that said, patience can wear thin after so long of being exhausted and limited in abilities, and then having to face a long, slow road to recovery. But very glad to hear that you can sew a little here and there through the day.
    The postcard you made is a lovely representation of a snowy night.
    Your circle quilt is incredible. I hope the recipient realizes how lucky they are. It is a special thing you are doing to donate that.
    The bacon ornament made me laugh. Who wouldn't want that on their tree, right? LOL
    You are a treasure, Wendy. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, I'm so glad you are sewing again, and also able to meet with your friends. I'm sorry you are having a hard time health-wise. I hope you regain energy at a good pace! But meanwhile, hurray for short sewing sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your circle quilt and so glad to hear that you are starting to sew again. Life is hard the older we get and we must all be thankful what we are all still able to do. Wishing you all the best for 2023 and hope to chat with you on zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to get together with quilty friends! That is the one big thing I miss being up here in the North Country. I loved this post, Wendy. We are all thankful for your friendship! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, I am sorry you are not up to your bubbly self and hope that you are on the mend and feel well soon. That is a delightful show and tell with lots of inspirational quilts. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete