Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Hospital Sketches update


I have been faithfully stitching along each month with Barbara Brackman’s Hospital Sketches (Civil WarBlog). However, I have not been keeping up with my postings. I must admit it is easier to simply post a photo and quick blurb on the Facebook group (here), but when it comes to posting on my Blog I like to be more descriptive and that takes time I just don’t seem to have this summer. 

I know I am preaching to the choir. Many of us are in the same boat this year and I for one am happy that we are all still afloat!

My last Hospital Sketches post was the Coxcomb and Current block in May (here). I think that one was my favorite, but I’ve made 3 more since then. They have all be a joy to make. I adore my fabric choices – right up my color alley!

The Pineapple was block #5. I added the leaf shapes in the center as I needed to add some purple somehow for balance. 

I was happy to see that the Laurel Leaf was the next block since it is so simple and July is so hectic. 


The Tennessee Rose was my latest finish. I do love how bright and perky this one is. 

Only two more to go. Still trying to decide if I will finish this in my ever popular “potholder” method. What do you think?

Do visit the Facebook group for some wonderful renditions of these blocks. There is so much variety. It makes me want to make another one – maybe half size??

18 comments:

  1. these are gorgeous wendy...love the colors of all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three blocks look very perky with the brighter repros. Wendy= potholder style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lively colors, these blocks are going to make a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty fabric choices. Love the different scraps that coordinate with each other. I prefer blog posts vs FB as I tend to get get distracted in FB and then loose precious sewing time. However, Hospital Sketches would be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Wendy, you are a marvel! These are all so you. Your pineapple fabric choices were perfect, and the addition of the purple leaves took it over the top.
    You say the Laurel Leaf block is so simple--not to those of us who are applique challenged. Yours looks so smooth and effortless.
    And the Tennessee Rose with its perky striped leaves is adorable.
    Do you mean you are even considering NOT doing it in the potholder method? :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. These blocks are so very sweet! Love them! I can see fun you have reflected back in your choice of fabrics and color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something so gorgeous and magical about your fabric/color choices Wendy, every time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO looking forward to how you put this all together into a quilt top! It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are just filled with happiness - makes a person smile to look at them! And beautifully done applique too - whatever method you choose to finish off will be a good one - have fun deciding!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting choice for a reproduction quilt - making it in today's colorways. Very nice applique. I really do like this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must have been asleep at the wheel because I LOVE the colors of these blocks and would have definitely signed up for this project knowing I could use brights. My favorite of the 3 you posted this time is the pineapple. LOVE your colors.
    Thanks for sharing...
    glad we are ALL still afloat!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also adore your colors, Wendy! What fun blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great blocks and the color placements really make them sing. I always like your potholder quilts but it's exciting to see which way you'll goj.
    You are making jealous I didn't do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blocks are gorgeous! All your great colors make me regret choosing to go with only blue & white!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blocks, Wendy, and I love your fabric choices! I've only known you to make potholder quilts so am anxious to hear what you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the color combinations of these blocks! They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blocks are so terrific! Your fabric choices are wonderful!! No need to feel extra pressure in the summertime. Enjoy it and know you can always show us the blocks at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blocks are such fun -- happy colors and prints and beautifully stitched together! :)

    ReplyDelete