Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Maine Quilts: 250 Years of Comfort and Community

 

I have been remiss in posting about the publication of a most marvelous book. My friend Laurie LaBar’s “MaineQuilts: 250 Years of Comfort and Community”  is finally here!


It was to be published in conjunction with the Maine bicentennial, but we all know what happened in 2020 to delay and delay and delay the process. But good things come to those who wait and this one is really a gem. You can get a copy (here).

 Lots of wonderful photos and history of Maine quilts. 

 My local group’s charity endeavors are featured. 

 And, a few shady Maine characters are mentioned as well… 



 One of my favorite parts is the story of my friend Judy Roche’s quilt. Judy followed along with Audrey’s (QuiltyFolk) Quilty 365, making one circle block a day. What is unique about Judy’s quilt is that she recorded the day’s events along the seam allowance of each circle. What a marvelous thing to do. It is a real treasure. 


Judy's quilt reminds me of Shasta’s (High Road Quilter)  “quote” quilt that I have been enjoying immensely and am now inspired to do something like this myself. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Shady character indeed! Is there no end to your celebrity???? Lol....on my list for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely on my wish list for next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an interesting book. As for Judy's quilt - I wish I had seen it at the time, but at least I know about it now; what a fabulous way to interpret the 365 circles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book looks terrific. Glad they included one awesome shady Maine character that we all know and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review - definitely adding this to my quilt book Wish List!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I ordered Maine Quilts yesterday. I can't wait to get it and read all about you and your lovely quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a great book and I loved seeing your quilts and reading your words too.
    I have it on my Christmas list as I love to have a new book to look at on Christmas.
    btw - you got spammed BAD, so go erase that weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it and removed it. Guess I need to add a serious filter!

      Delete
  9. What a great book. Thanks for the update. You Mainers are stunning quilters!

    ReplyDelete