Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Healing My Heart With My Hands

 

I want to thank each and every one of you for such kind comments on the loss of my mother. It means a lot to me to know I have so many dear quilting friends.

 Needless to say, it was a rough weekend. All of her 5 children and most of her 10 grandchildren were able to be with her. As we sat together, we couldn’t help but feel helpless for our situation and for the world and the Ukrainian people. Mum would have been the first to ask “what can I do to help”.

I spent Sunday after noon piecing blocks to send to Claudia Pfeil in Germany, who will be making them into quilts to give to refugees as needed. There are more organizations who are coming together to help now too, but this was the first I saw. Here is the link to her plea on the Quilt Show. I could only fit 10 into the Global Priority envelope but I am sure I will be sending more as other opportunities open up. 



I made a number of easy pieced ones to fill out the envelope. 

 My mother was an artist and she was always making drawings for her grandchildren. I will leave you with a few she has made for us over the years. 


 




Have a wonderful day! 

Update: It is difficult to know which sites are the best for donating to the Ukraine people. I just went to Pat Sloan's blog (here) and she has a wonderful free pattern and a link to donate money through Unicef. With a smile like Pat's you know it must be trustworthy! 

19 comments:

  1. Love your Mom's drawings! So sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother's lovely art has reminded me of the ones my mother made for me. Mom's were less detailed and burned into wood panels; that used to be a thing in the mid fifties. Mine were lost to time and many moves, but yours have brought them back as freshly as if it were yesterday. Blessings to you and your family at this time, and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have those charming drawings made by your mom! You have some great memories to lift you up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. Your Mom was a very talented artist. How great you have her art to remind you of her. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mum was so talented! Those drawings will be priceless for you and the family. Thanks for the quilt blocks for Ukraine link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have your family with you..... Wow your mum should have done kids books ..... Cool drawings......
    The world is such a mess.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for the loss of your mother. Her drawings are really cute. The blocks for the Ukraine effort are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I didn’t know. I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing your mom is so hard. I can see you take after her. Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those drawings are so captivating, your mom was so very talented! I'm glad you have these sweet keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mom's drawings are amazing. I love the little hedgehog one. Please tell me she was a book illustrator and she has a few books.
    Your blocks are perfect for the people of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, those wonderful, whimsical drawings will be treasures to her grandchildren! So sweet.
    This is a hard enough time to find peace without the added loss of your dear Mom. Of course, you are reaching out to serve others as you work through your pain. That is the example you had, and you learned well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ❤ your mom's artwork! What a treasure she gave you.the little mice floating about in a peapod is simply precious.Difficult days ahead I'm sure so I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such delicate and beautiful drawings...easy to see where your gifts come from...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful mom! I love her drawings and I love the blocks you made. Take care and know you are in my prayers through the grieving journey. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mom's drawings are just the sweetest! Thank you for sharing them with us :) Your blocks for Ukraine are wonderful. I especially like the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful blocks for Ukraine. I love the heart.
    Your mother's drawings are incredible! Did she have a illustrator career? Are these colored pencils?
    They are so so charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What treasures, to have these delightful drawings from your mother. So, I see your artistry and sense of fun must come from her;).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful tribute to your mom in both these posts. How wonderful to have her work to enjoy. Creativity runs in the family. I'm from Newfoundland and we have a saying, your Mom will never die while you are alive. I know my mom is still very much with me all the time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wo you think the borders need a lighter "sand" background? If you let it simmer a while surely the ideal solution will occur.

    ReplyDelete