Monday, March 21, 2022

National Quilting Day Lows and Highs

 

I hope everyone had a fun and productive National Quilting Day on Saturday. Mine started out with a giant hiccup, but after a walk to calm the mind, it ended up just fine!

 I started by trimming two of the borders for my “Bird’s Nest Soup” in preparation for binding (you may remember that this is a potholder quilt and all the center blocks are already stitched together). After careful cutting, I decided it would be best to double check my measurements. Yup, they were both an inch and a quarter too short. After a few moments of reflection, I popped the quilt into the washer with about 100 color catchers. After a few minutes in the dryer (I know, just breathe…) I set it out on the bed and picked up the tape measure. It was hard to measure with my fingers crossed so tightly, but miracle of miracles, it had shrunk exactly 1” all around.

 Before I started binding, I spread everything on the floor. Hmm…, second disaster of the day. I didn’t like it at all. Maybe it will look better in a photo


– ah, no!! This is one of the problems of not having a design wall big enough to audition everything at once. This is where I take my (long) walk.

 When I returned, I knew that it truly wasn’t going to work for me and that I had to salvage this somehow. The quilt could stand on its own at this point but I had my heart set on a border and I already have the corner blocks done. So, off to the drawing board. I have a number of things in mind which I will share when they are finalized.

 The good news it that I have been thinking about a “strippy” potholder quilt for a long time and with those silly border pieces, it is already half done!!

 After all this turmoil, I needed a pick me up. I grabbed some happy juvenile novelty prints and started cutting squares. I used Katy’s (KatyQuilts) US map quilt as my inspiration. What fun! Thanks Katy!


The squares finished 2 ½” and I realized it wasn’t quite big enough to be useful for a crib quilt, so I added this marvelous border. 

This was designed by Brandon Mably for the Kaffe Fassett Collection. 

I adore it and am sad to now be down to one 5” strip. I'll quilt it next weekend. I’m sure it will be cheerfully used by some precious child.

 And, to top it all off… I played thread chicken and won!!

So, my day ended on a happy note and I hope yours all did too!

 Happy Spring!!

16 comments:

  1. I love this account of a day in the life of a remarkable quilter;). Problem solving all along the way. What a great idea to let those borders shine in a new way, in a strippy quilt. The US quilt is so endearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all have those hiccups! glad you got it sorted...and kudos for winning at thread chicken....i myself have better luck at bias binding chicken...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I cannot believe your quilt shrunk just as much as you needed it to. I have to agree with the border, maybe because it is not as detailed as the center blocks? I know whatever you come up with will be stellar!
    Love the strippy idea too with your borders!!
    The little quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a frustrating dilemma! I took the next quilt top off of the stack in my closet to get it ready to hand quilt. When I spread it out I decided I don't like the border I put on it. But, it's not appliqued, just yardage so it isn't as big a deal as your project is. I'm so sorry. But, if you don't change it you'll never like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, giant hiccup indeed! That kind of problem solving is a bit stressful. So glad you were able to work through it and come up with a new plan. Hopefully everything can be salvaged if not in this arrangement! I hate wasted work. It is just soooo annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bird's Nest Soup is incredible! How absolutely disheartening to have the border be a no-go--after all that work! At least you have a plain to use what you have made, and I am very curious to see what you choose to do to replace it. A very long walk was a good idea. I would have been talking to myself (out loud) most of the way.
    Your US map quilt is charming. I can't believe how well the border fabric picks up all those colors. You needed a win, and you got it.
    Now that is a close game of thread chicken. Chalk up two wins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow, what a day. It's incredibly hard 😫 when you have had your heart and mind set on a certain finish. Even trying to force the idea, you know deep down that it's a "no go". You might be surprised that you'll like the new plan better. At least your thread knew to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will figure something out for your quilt. I do like what you showed us ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wendy, I have had those days too! My thoughts are that the border backgrounds are a bit too dark and the appliqué pieces a bit too “regularly” sized and spaced compared to the blocks. Is that what concerns you too or is it something else? The center is amazing and probably worth a border re-do and I love your idea of using the current borders in another quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you have expresses it perfectly. I'm actually glad it happened as I am excited to start a new strippy started!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Gladi. I, however, think the quilt is complete as is. Your eyes move around appreciating it and the center. I also happen to like quilts without borders and make them often, so it comes down to personal tastes. I Love this quilt!!

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you will get this done somehow! I like it either way. I'm working on a winter themed quilt that I have put away twice now because I just wasn't happy with the borders. Finally figured it out last month but now I'm so tired of the quilt that it goes away for the third year to finish in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you will get this done somehow! I like it either way. I'm working on a winter themed quilt that I have put away twice now because I just wasn't happy with the borders. Finally figured it out last month but now I'm so tired of the quilt that it goes away for the third year to finish in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing for long walks when the focus becomes problem solving! Whatever the solution I'm sure you will be much happier with the end result. Plus, you'll turn those borders into another fantastic quilt! Love your US quilt with the perfectly matched border. So glad you won thread chicken at the end of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great posts in the life of a quilter.
    Are you really not using the borders? I have thoughts, and may even agree, but it is so hard to judge in a photo. You'll have to let us know.
    I will say, and do say to students, if you don't like it, you won't like later. Period.
    What a cute map quilt!
    you ended on a upside with the bobbin win :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had an eventful Quilting Day! Good luck with the "new" border for Stone Soup; I have faith you'll find the Perfect Solution.

    ReplyDelete