Friday, October 23, 2015

Let’s Play - “What’s your method”

I am really enjoying this SVBAQ sew-a-long. There are so many different fabrics, colors and methods being used. I would like to challenge everyone participating to show your method of applique. Cynthia at Wabi-Sabi Quilts has posted (here) on her method of machine applique and her blocks are beautiful.

I’m afraid the light wasn’t very good this morning when I took these photos, so I will post more later. I think you can see how enough to get the gist of how I work.


If I am doing a block that requires precision placement (usually a very symmetrical design) I will likely back baste it for best placement. But, for these little guys I prefer the slightly wonky look so I simply mark the piece on the top with my Sewline white (very erasable) pencil and then needle turn as I go along.

If I am going to quilt through an element (like this pineapple top) I will cut out the back so I don’t have to go through so many layers while quilting.


I have decided (like a few others I know) to change up the pattern just a bit. I will be making 4 pineapples (one in each corner) and eliminate the other block that is duplicated. I don’t think of myself as a symmetrical person, but apparently I am in this case! I will be making mine in the potholder method (big surprise, I know) so I will most likely make all my blocks go in one direction. Some people are eliminated the rainbow and Liberty Tree blocks. I like the rainbow although I may modify it a bit and my favorite block is the Liberty Tree. How funky is that one? I LOVE it! In fact, I would like to do a whole quilt of those trees.


So if you all can take a moment and share your method with the rest of us I know we would all appreciate it. Thanks, and have fun!


14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My method is to watch others applique! *LOL*
    Seriously, I just don't applique. Took a class from Kim Diehl a year ago this month on her machine applique method and haven't touched the project since I got home. I admire applique from afar! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think machine applique is much more difficult than hand applique. I admire all who can do it.

      Delete
  3. I keep encouraging Janet O not to be a watcher but it hasn't worked yet.
    I think I will make the layout as is though it does seem a bit quirky to have a pineapple in three corners and not in the fourth one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad to hear that someone will obey the rules. I am so looking forward to seeing how they all progress. And I think we may be able to convert Janet someday! It took me a while to really love applique and now I just can't put it down.

      Delete
  4. nice to get tips from a prize winner....beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put the pieces where they go, add a few pins and start needleturning and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learnt traditional appliqué and I am making the same method than Lori ! Never used machine for appliqué !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Cecile! I just don't have the patience for machine applique. I will give it a try again someday.

      Delete
  7. I have the pattern but plan to just watch for now. I love that you are using cheddar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching is good. It is what I usually do best! I am loving the cheddar.

      Delete
  8. I've taken many many appliqué classes and love trying new techniques. For this project I am back basting. You block looks great! So glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cheddar! I also love the wonkiness of the pattern. I'd decided not to join in on making this one, but now that I see everyone's progress, I sure wish I had!!! Someday :)
    Oh, and for applique, I pin baste then hand-stitch away. If the applique pieces are large, I first pin baste from the front, getting placement, then turn the whole piece over and pin baste from the back then remove the front pins. It's the way that my great-grandmaB did it and it always worked for her, so it's what works for me, too! Thanks for asking everyone to share their method - it's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete