the “Jane” saga continues...
Warning – long post, so if you are really interested you might want to refresh your coffee. Some of you may remember my 9 month (and numerous posts, here, here, here and well you get the picture) “Jane” journey. I really didn’t elaborate much on my disappointment with the borders.
I thought it was going to be o.k. until I hung it up for the first time. Argh! The borders were flapping in the breeze. I had entered it in our state show and didn’t have time to do anything about it before I had to send it off. So there it hung next to my friend Ann’s beautiful Dear Jane in the show. Ann’s hung perfectly straight and mine looked as if a herd of elephants had used the borders to play tug of war.
Luckily most people were so enamored (or they were just being kind) of the potholder method that no one commented on the wavy borders. But then, on the last day of the show my friend Cyndi and I walked through the show and she said “what’s all that red there”? In 8 or 9 of the red blocks there was significant bleeding into the white (off white really) background. ARGH! Another disaster. How could this happen (I still don’t know how) and can I rectify it? I wash all my fabrics before I use them and most of the time I wash reds twice. I rarely use a solid white or off white so I have never had this problem before. I was so devastated that I left in the bag after the July show until two weeks ago. As I stated in a former post, my grandson really loves the geometry of it so if the red never came out, I’m sure he would never care. I threw the whole thing (wavy borders and all) into the washer with 7 color catchers (all I had at the time). The color catchers (I’m sold on them now!) came out RED and the quilt came out just fine. Not a trace of bleeding. Who’d a thought it? So now, how do I tackle the border problem?
I started by taking off all 4 borders. I contemplated using them as a valance on my porch, but I put so much hand quilting into them I wanted to salvedge them as some sort of quilt. So this is what I came up with. A “strippy” Jane if you will.
If you recall the original quilt I titled “Cooking with Jane”. Now the middle section of the quilt is titled “Half Baked Jane” and the little strippy is called “Jane’s Leftovers” in keeping with my “cooking” theme for my potholder quilts. I like what I ended up with and the smaller middle segment actually fits better on the wall in my grandson’s room that the original. Can’t beat a Yankee when it comes to ingenuity and frugality! Thanks for staying with me through the whole agonizing story. Go make something fun!