Monday, August 6, 2018

Maine Quilts Part II


 The New England Quilt Museum had a wonderful display of quilts from the family. I had such a good time talking with Laura Lane and Pam Weeks, that I neglected to take photos! Luckily Cyndi (Busy Thimble) took some fantastic photos and has wonderful descriptions on her post (here).

My favorite part of this year’s show was the Quilter’s Alliance’s “Go Tell it at the Quilt Show”. I assisted Amy Milne while she filmed a few chosen quilters and their stories. I was moved to tears by more than one participant. My friend Ann Hussey was one of them. I have known Ann for nearly 30 years, but I learned more about her in 3 minutes than I had ever known before. Unfortunately, the photos I took of Ann did not come out and I didn't notice until I got home! I did however manage to get a photo of her entry into the "bee" challenge. Hers was my favorite. 

My friend Nena Cunningham brought a quilt she had made with a group to celebrate women’s right to vote. I was in tears as she explained the importance of the support we all get by quilting sharing in a group atmosphere. She discussed the efforts of the Suffragettes and how much we, as modern day women owe them. No one noticed when she went over her 3 minute time allotment! 

Virginia Morrell is one of our founding members. She brought a quilt she had made as a healing process after the Deepwater Horizon oil rig disaster in April of 2010. Virginia’s attention to detail and workmanship are always amazing. Her story was very moving.

Trudy Wollston brought a little quilt she had made while living in Portugal. This is a logo used in a beverage company in Portugal and Trudy made hers with yo yos instead of bottle caps. Fantastic! I loved it.


These are just a few of the quilter’s interviewed and they should all be up on the website in a few months. I will post a link when I find out when they are published. I gave an interview for “Save our Stories” on the Quilt Index years ago so I really wanted to help with this project. It was such a great experience for me. 

I was very fortunate to finally meet Christine Wickert. I have admired her work for years and my friend Gladi introduced me to this very talented quilter. She is just as lovely as her quilts. She won a blue ribbon, "Best Use of Color", Best Hand Quilting" and "Best Use of Embellishments" It is spectacular! It is all silk. 

And in closing, this was my friend Kathy's bee entry.  She calls it "Buzz Words". 
It is simply adorable!


9 comments:

  1. nice show clips and quilts...5 years ago i put in nancy chong's name as a possible speaker and glad to see she finally made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my--that silk quilt just wiped everything else I was going to say right out of my brain! Absolutely beyond words!
    (the bee quilt is very cute)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts but my favorite is the last one, the little bee quilt!
    I have a bunch of bee fabric and might be inspired (August mini??) to use the fabrics in a similar way!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilts and stories! I've seen Christine Wickert's quilt in person, too, and it is amazing. Cute bee quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilts and quilter's always have amazing stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine's third "special" ribbon was Best Use of Embellishment - although, technically, she also won best applique since that was the category in which she took the blue ribbon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to interview other quilters. Anonymous shouldn't be synonymous with woman. Thanks for preserving our heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing the Bee quilts!
    Isn't Christine the nicest woman?
    also LOVED seeing your quilts on Gladi's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sp0ectacular quilts every one of them! thank you so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete