Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Delicious and No Calories!


It was just one month ago today that I posted a request for orphan blocks for this “Community Supper” creation. We are now 73 quilters “strong”, representing 28 states and 4 countries. Clearly this is going to be far larger than I had originally thought, much like the pandemic itself.

I am finishing all the full 10” blocks first. There are still quite a few to go. After that, if you haven’t seen yours posted yet, it is like that I may have to consider it for the 5” size to accommodate everyone. I hope to have the final layout planned by the end of the week.

Again, I am thrilled by the response from everyone. Your sweet notes of encouragement are heartwarming. I have kept a simple journal of what I work on each day and have a notebook filled with the cards and letters from each of you. Hopefully this will travel with the quilt someday when (and if) it is on display. I don’t know why I am so obsessed with finishing this in such a timely manner since I’m sure it will be a while before we can actually see displayed quilts again in person. Guess I just don’t want to lose momentum. I need to work while the spirit is still with us all.

Here are the recent finishes:

Anna Bullard, Wells, Maine. Anna didn’t give me a name for this block, but I would call it “Symphony in Blue”. Such beautiful blues and it was a joy to quilt. I love straight uncomplicated quilting lines. Thanks Anna! 


Janet Olsen, Logan, Utah. (Rogue Quilter) Those who follow Janet’s blog would agree that she should be called, “The Queen of the Mini Quilt”. She amazes me with those tiny pieces and with such precision! This block is a medley of tiny orphans from some of her fabulous patriotic mini quilts. Even her label is pieced and it fits the back perfectly. Thanks Janet! 


Rebecca Schnekenburger, Delta Junction, Alaska. Rebecca says: “I’ve been trying to focus on my many blessings during this pandemic, so my sentiment is, See the Beauty”. She started BarbaraBrackman’s Yankee Diary sew-a-long and she stopped after making the first 2 blocks. I for one am glad you did Rebecca as they are a perfect addition to this Community Supper. I combined the two blocks to form this 10” gem. Your applique is stunning! I thought the eagle was a fitting backing to carry out the “Liberty” theme. Let’s hope we are all “free” of this dreaded virus soon. Thanks Rebecca! 


Becky Stephenson, Fairfield, Texas. Becky must be a kindred spirit because she says she is obsessed with making small (doll) quilts too! Becky sent this charming block. Scrapy and happy – right up my ally. Thanks Becky! 


She also sent one from her sister, Jerrianne Evans from Clear Lake, Texas. When I saw that bonnet come out of the envelope, I gasped, “Oh no Sunbonnet Sue!” (poor Sue has a bad rap!), but when I saw that it was Sunbonnet Kitty I laughed out loud! Don’t you love it? Absolutely adorable. Thanks Jerrianne! 



And these are the last 4 of my “Seven Sistahs” group (I’ve already posted Suzie Karen and Tina)

Kathy Boudreau, Gardiner, Maine. Kathy and I have been quilting together since 1986! She is one of the most creative quilters I know. In fact, she had her own pattern business for many years. You can still find some of her patterns (Katrinka Designs) on eBay and other online sites. They are all wonderful! We also share a love of vintage sci-fi movies and tv shows. She thought these looked like Quarantined Creatures from outer space! Thanks Kathy! 


Charlotte Kaplan, Woolwich, Maine. Charlotte’s block has a very funny story behind it. The 7 of us have enjoyed a retreat every June for the past 9 or 10 years. At one of our early retreats in Rangeley, she tried to show us the “easy peasy” method of making this block. I’m not sure if it was the late hour or the empty glasses of wine, but she couldn’t make it work and we all laughed ourselves silly! But Charlotte is a determined individual and after we all went to bed, she figured it out and finished the block. Thanks Charlotte! 


Karen Mitman, Whitefield, Maine. Karen took one of my beginner classes back in the late 1980’s and the rest is history. She owned a 200 year old, 11 bedroom inn at the time and was determined to make quilts for each room. Karen is very good at trying (and mastering) new methods. My friend Gladi Porche had and exhibit of her fabulous work at the New England Quilt Museum and gave us a private gallery talk. She explained her bias circle method to us. It went right over my head, but Karen mastered it and made this beauty. Thanks Karen! 


Fotini Eberhard, Bath, Maine. Fotini and I have been neighbors for over 40 years! A little over 10 years ago she decided she might try quilting and voila! Now we have more in common than ever before. This was a leftover from another project and has one of my favorite neons in it! This is the first 5” block I have dared to finish. I want to make sure I have the layout right for all my 10” before I quilt too many more. Thanks Fotini! 


This is going to be a busy week so production may slow down a bit. 
Keep Smiling!

20 comments:

  1. mine is enroute...a plain and boring orphan block...explains why it WAS an orphan...lol...so many gorgeous blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backs are as fun as the fronts! I can't wait to see this hanging at vermont on an end aisle spot.
    It is so fabulous and fun!!
    and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. These continue to be just delicious blocks. Your backings are incredible too. What a collection both front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to see this quilt, Wendy. Especially with the 5" blocks incorporated into it (or will that be a separate quilt?) Meanwhile its so much fun to see them each as you post them - with their backs - all so unique. I do wonder how your fingers are holding up with all that stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My block should be arriving today or tomorrow. Hoping my humble Scrap Buster Challenge oops will fit in with these lovely blocks you've received!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these are beautiful. There are some seriously talented quilters out there! All your little scrap pieces arrived and were quickly sewn up into something fun. I haven't posted it yet, but will soon! It will be a surprise gift for my SIL. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great blocks and wonderful variety! I love how you tell us a little bit about each of the quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun to see the blocks and read their stories and learn about their creator. Got a giggle over "from the planet Corona."
    Can't believe how you are getting these all whipped up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are obsessed with this project so we get to see all that creativity. Love each and every one! Thanks, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We definitely work best while we have the muse! Love the Liberty block especially. Hard to see why some of these blocks were orphaned, they are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m so enjoying your posts about the blocks....so interesting and fun to see so many of them finished. Wish I’d sent you something for the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving watching all these blocks come in! Are you making each of these into a mini quilt or are you doing something to them that will allow all of them o be sewn together into a quilt? Curious minds wanna know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this week's blocks are the best! Each one is more amazing.
    I have to say that Janet O's mini just blows me away... and the backing too!
    Your quilt group sure makes some beautiful quilts. I enjoyed meeting them and look forward to seeing them again SOON... and seeing your quilt hung up, just like Barb mentioned.
    Are you making a separate quilt with 5" blocks now? I can send you some of those!! ;-))
    Can't wait for our "chat" later today! ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. When this is shown, people will need to see both beautiful sides!
    It's so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have the best backings for all these wonderful blocks! Community Supper is going to be fantastic--front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The backs are as interesting as the fronts of the blocks. I look forward to each of your posts about the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these posts, these blocks! You attract a wide ranging and wonderful community of quilters, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whenever you finish this quilt, it will be a treasure, full of stories that it will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  20. I frequently get cold sores(which lasts for 5-6 days on my lips and its painful both physically and mentally) .. As a bodybuilder, I basically get outbreak due to the daily pressure and heat in the body.. Recently I stumbled upon my salvation. I found a herbal remedy to cure hsv completely, in just 4weeks ..

    I got to know about Dr Utu after seeing a lady's testimony online. I reached the doctor and I ordered for herpes herbal medicine. He sent the herbs to me and I started making use of them. In just 2days, the cold sores are cleared. 4weeks after medication, I went to the hospital for test of cold sores and it was completely NEGATIVE.

    By following every prescription, i was able to cure my cold sore in less than 4weeks. 100% natural herbs no after effect.
    Note: Please do let others know if this work for you.
    The doctor's email is drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    Note : follow all instructions accordingly..

    If you are sure that you have benefited from this African herbs be courageous to inform others.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete