Monday, December 28, 2020

Fig Leaf and Flower - ready to quilt

 

This delightful quilt project seemed to have the 2020 curse right from the beginning! As some of you may recall, I chose this wonderful buttery yellow (see photo number 3 for a more accurate color) for the background of my Fig Leaf and Flower (Collector With a Needle) sew-a-long quilt. 



 With a symmetrical pattern like this I usually back baste for accuracy. While drawing on the pattern, I discovered 2 tiny holes in the fabric.


It seemed a miracle that they would be covered up by the twisty turning vine. Problem solved! 

 But then, after appliqueing 187 of the 213 petals in the center medallion, I realized that I had oriented my center vine in the wrong direction. When working out a background, I always buy extra, but I bought the last of the bolt which would have been “just enough” if I hadn’t made this giant error! It took weeks of careful thought to find a solution I could live with. In the end, I did not to let the curse bother me and decided to make a smaller quilt to finish now and start over with a different background in the new year when my mind will be clearer!

 I eliminated some of the appliques in the center to simplify the design a bit and then added a plain border. I have loved this green border fabric forever, but never seemed to find the right project for it. The 4 corner blocks seemed to fit the bill. I’m calling it, “Petaluma”. I have so enjoyed appliqueing all these petals! 

I hope to start quilting before the end of the year.

 

Our little village has been in my husband’s family for 100 years. We are now enjoying it with the next generation.


May your village be filled with peace and contentment in the coming year.

21 comments:

  1. simply stunning wendy....i am always in awe of your fabric choices and needle skills...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A perfect quilt! Lots of "2020" in the making, but still just marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can put the "curse" to rest. Your quilt is lovely! Your appliques are so perfect and the colors all work so well together. The border fabric was meant to be. I lived in Petaluma, CA for a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing cursed about this quilt, it's gorgeous! And to think you're planning to begin another one in the new year! Petalmania might be an apt name for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green border fabric, such a delightful floral. Sorry it's given you problems. It turned out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a beautiful applique work!!
    Those little corner squares with the smaller appliques are amazing!! The green border is just right...it really sparks the central petal colors...nice job hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your patience in tackling a solution right away. I am afraid I would have chucked it in the closet for a long winter's nap! It is gorgeous. Looks like it was meant to be this way--especially with that most perfect border fabric. You knocked this one out of the park, Wendy!
    That is a sweet family heirloom you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The smaller quilt is lovely! You've done an excellent job with plan B. Happy stitching and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad it all worked out! It’s a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blame it on 2020 - it still turned out lovely! The border fabric is a gorgeous complement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so pretty, mistakes and all! Sometimes a quilt that turns out different than the original idea ends up being better anyway.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks perfect to me, Wendy, but I know the feeling of wanting to start over when something is not right. Your village is so sweet and quaint, and so special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful Wendy! You turned a mistake into something beautiful! I love the border fabric and the corner wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your problem solving yielded beautiful results! Another stunning piece. And... wow... so many petals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Wendy! Your little quilt is simply gorgeous. I can't imagine appliqueing all those petals. I love your border fabric and corner wreaths--well, the entire quilt, actually! Such a sweet little village to share with the next generation :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peace and contentment to you as well.

    Some quilt projects just seem to beg for problems! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your little village, so precious!
    That green is awesome for your border and I still don't quite understand how its wrong, but I trust you, lol
    I wish you peace and love in 2021~

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing. I am so impressed by applique. I'd love to learn how to do it. Do you sew by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is those kinds of challenges that force us to be creative and sometimes leads to projects that are even better than planned.This turned out so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The top is beautiful! I don't really see the problem and it look plenty complicated to me. Your hand work is amazing! I wish you and your family a wonderful New Year! xo, cw

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my gosh! It's beautiful, but I don't know if I could do that many leaves and stay sane.

    ReplyDelete