Monday, December 21, 2020

Sourdough

 I finished my 3rd orphan block quilt over the weekend. I really had a ball putting all these crazy mishmash blocks together and it felt great to finally check something off the list! It is big so I decided to just photograph it on the bed. Perfect for today's temperatures in the teens!  

And, as usual with these potholder quilts, the back was fun to make too. 

I like to give all my potholder quilts names that have some sort of cooking or food reference in the title. I had originally named this one “Stash Hash”. After finishing the last block, I looked into the “orphan” box and realized that I had not even made a dent! 


In fact, it seemed as though I had even more blocks than I started with, so I am changing the name to “Sourdough”. 

I have utilized blocks and/or fabrics from so many of my friends in putting these together. I want to thank everyone who shared their “sourdough” with me. If there is anyone out there who would like to make one of your own, let me know and I will send you some “starter”. 

Hope you get some time in your sewing place today!

24 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful with the golds and maroons--lovely finish...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an amazing talent. I love this quilt. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a warm and inviting quilt--front and back.
    I must not have the right "starter". I don't even have an orphan box, let alone one that keeps on giving. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I love it! Your box of leftovers looks strikingly similar to mine. I think you need to send Janet some starter. Maybe I should, too ... ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just an amazing, fun quilt! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! It is really wonderful and a work of love and community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out great. You always do such nice work. Your orphan blocks go together really well. My orphan blocks are made up from all areas of the quilt-lines universe. I've never quite figured out how to get them to play together long enough to come up with a quilt top. Sourdough is a perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sourdough looks perfectly at home in its setting! A beautiful finish, and it looks like you won't go hungry this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s amazing how you are able to successfully put such disparate blocks together and made the whole look fabulous - better than the sum of its parts! Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your orphan blocks are fabulous. It's amazing how so many colors, patterns and prints work so well together. Those blocks were fermenting and expanding in your bin. Sourdough is the perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love looking at your work ,hope to get to the Quilt museum in Lowell MA!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect name for a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sourdough! perfect 2020 title for this wonderful new potholder quilt. I love the photo on the bed - Maine Winter Perfection!
    You keep outdoing yourself friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this quilt and you seem to have made it in record time :) There are so many wonderful blocks and fabrics--front and back! And you still have more orphan blocks that no doubt will multiply in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how you manage to pull all of these orphan blocks together and make them look like they were meant to be one beautiful quilt! Love the name--those blocks do seem to grown before ones eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt looks as though it is a made-to-pattern sampler. The setting both enhances and calms the many different designs. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! You ARE a kick! Send us some starter indeed! Love your humor! By the way, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful finish! I got a chuckle out of the quilt name and your offer to share some "starter"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it's so warm and beautiful. Congratulations on finishing it. I love how you name your quilts on a food theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt and I love the perfect name of sourdough!! Happy Holidays to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a big quilt! And so many fun blocks. I love the variety and the red and yellow sashing goes great with them all. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL!! I think the name change fits and the quilt turned out great!

    ReplyDelete