Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Cecile and Corinne's Sampler Sew-a-long

 Finally finished a few of the applique blocks. I simply drew flowers that have graced the Whitman’s Sampler boxes over the years. I took a lot of liberties! 



 This one was really fun.

I wanted to applique a tiny circle of yellow in the center so I cut out a circle from this “sunny” fabric.

When I applique a circle that finishes about ¼” like this one, I applique it onto the background fabric “before” I cut the larger circle.

This way it is easy to “center” the inner circle. 

 The minimum for the challenge is 8 pieced and 8 appliqued blocks – all different patterns. I’m still in the planning stage as far as layout, but I think I have finally decided that “8 is enough”! 

 I wouldn’t mind doing a few more applique blocks, but that means making more pieced blocks and it was quite a challenge for me to come up with 8 different baskets.

 So… on to the layout and then the quilting. I really enjoy this sew-a-long challenge every year.

 Click (here) to see all the creative sampler blocks on Cecile and Corinne’s Facebook page. Enjoy the day!

15 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around "a circle that finishes at 1/4 inch." You possess mad applique skills my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Quilting Babcia said! I love that you used the Whitman box as your inspiration! What a great idea! Such gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The applique flowers are awesome! Love them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be such a sweet quilt. I love the fabric you cut the flower center from, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip on how to handle the itty bitty circle! Makes so much more sense😊 what is it that you use to draw your circles up around before pressing? I've been dying to ask you that question for months 🙄 LOVE the blue sampler flower❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, I take old manila file folders and cut my circles from them. They come out pretty well most of the time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wendy!I have some really old green ones from the '70s that someone was tossing out a few years back.I rescued a few thinking I might need them someday.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blocks and I learned something new about appliquing tiny circles onto a bit larger fabric. love that ... learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you do it either! I can't even hold a 1/4" circle. Your flowers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a member of that Facebook group and have been enjoying the variety of blocks shown. Yours are so pretty, Wendy, like all that you sew. I always buy a box of Whitman's when I come across them. I use the boxes to hold my sewing machine parts. I'll think of you now when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh - thanks for the appliqué tip! I'll file that one away for future reference! Your Whitman's Sampler flower idea was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is getting exciting! I agree about your applique skills, awesome control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. clever clever you! love watching your idea develop!

    ReplyDelete