Monday, February 20, 2023

Housing Project

 Here are blocks 4 and 5 in my "Cecile and Corinne Quilt-a-long". 

 

 

I'd like to share a little bit about my construction of these humble abodes. Because feedsacks tend to be quite bulky, I am assembling them in "units" so that after I applique the entire house unit down, I can cut out the background for less bulk when hand quilting. 


I had a little trouble decided on the front door for block #5. I played around a bit and learned (after 3 tries) that it is best to audition "before" appliqueing the entire thing down! 
reject # 2 
reject #3
 
Red wins! 
 

When the applique is done, I choose the backing and cut my square just a bit larger than the front. I add my wool batt (split in half for a light loft). Then I baste "waste" fabric strips along the edge so it will fit in my 14" hoop. 

"Potholder Quilting 101"!

Enjoy the day!




 



11 comments:

  1. Your blocks get sweeter with each little house. Love the dancing folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your housing project and Potholder Quilting
    101! Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these so much! I want to live there where everyone is dancing and everything is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your houses are so adorable. Each new house makes me smile. Love the red door - it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving watching this project develop. Thanks for sharing the details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, I love these blocks! It's so much fun seeing the progress of this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so whimsical and cute. Your potholder block process is full of loving-care. I know that sounds corny but it's what came to mind as I was reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting to read about the process...they are looking uber-good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These houses are just as sweet as can be! Love seeing them come together.:)

    ReplyDelete