Sunday, February 19, 2023

"Mathilde" - Quiltmania Mystery Quilt 2023

 I have fondly followed many Quiltmania mystery quilts over the years, always thinking, "This looks like fun!" So, with a little encouragement from my friends Barb (Fun with Barb) and Randy (Barrister's Block), I finally took the plunge. This is the first step (Quiltmania issue number 153). Thirteen 4" stars and four 6" applique blocks.


I am using Dutch reproduction prints including a few vintage fabrics I bought on a sailing vacation in St. Barts in 1993!! Once again, my "scrap' gene took over. There are 26 different fabrics in the stars alone. I auditioned several backgrounds.

I really wanted to use a buttery yellow but feared I might not have enough to finish, so I opted for this lovely "Arundel" by Christopher Wilson Tate (because I had 5 yards!!).

The stars went together quickly as I used my square in a square method to make the geese units.


There is a bit of waste with this method, but at this point in my life, time saved is worth more than fabric wasted. The gorgeous print I chose for the appliques is quite airy, so I softened the concave of the leaf a bit to get as much color out of it as I could. It makes it look a little more "folky", but it works for me. I can't wait for step #2!! 

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous start. You have the best "scraps"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not folky i think it has a real renaissance look to it...like medieval coverlet....and yes, the stash dictates the background for sure...same with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your fabrics Wendy! Including your background. I have hopped into this mystery quilt too. The little stars are fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such pretty fabrics and will make a great quilt. I forgot about that method of making flying geese. I like the no waste method that lets you make two at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that background fabric! Perfect for your beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful start for your quilt, I love the scrappy vibe of your star blocks. The neutral background fabric is a perfect foil for the bright cheery prints. It's going to be fun watching the progress of so many of my blogging friends on this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking great so far! Choosing the right background for appliqué is always a challenge and you did well😊. Once again, I will be looking on from the sidelines for this project, but will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so ambitious! Lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete