Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Kevin the Quilter's Sapphire Stars


August is my busiest month, but I was able to finish “clue #2” of Kevin’s Sapphire Stars mystery sew-a-long. This is my first mystery quilt ever. I just knew Kevin would make it fun and that it would be likely that it will make a super veteran’s quilt when finished.


Do you talk to yourself while sewing? I use little rhymes to help me place the pieces together correctly. For instance, when I was piecing these units together I was reciting “Blue on the red is what he said.” And then, “Red to the yellow said the smart fellow” (that’s you Kevin!). It helps to keep me in check. 

So… I don’t know what I was saying here – but it turns out that “red on the blue was a silly thing to do”!

When Randy (Barrister’sBlock) was visiting last week, she was surprised to find that I did not have a seam ripper (I actually have one, I just couldn’t find it). Unless I am working with precious antique fabrics or that last piece of an out of print fabric, I find it much faster and easier to simply toss it into the “orphan block box” and cut out a new one. They will have fun in there with all the other orphans and someday become another “Pot Luck” quilt.

 Take your time with clue #3 Kevin. Wink!

And, P.S., did you notice my new cutting mat? While at the show, Randy encouraged me to try this Martelli cutting mat and boy was she right! I love it! What a difference it makes. Thanks Randy for the nudge!

12 comments:

  1. That bright yellow cutting mat looks like it will be easy to see most any color fabric as you're cutting, except for cheddar. Kevin's mystery quilt sounded intriguing but then I looked around at all the ufo's hanging around here and sanity was forced to prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the difference with the cutting mat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did notice the cutting mat right away! I'm so happy that you are enjoying it. And, if you get sick of the yellow, flip it over for a little purple!! Love your mystery blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing pieces together, can be such fun.
    Especially when they're perfect and all done

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so tempted by Kevin's mystery-- I like how your pieces are looking. I'm curious about the mat too--I've never tried one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do talk to myself, whether sewing or cooking or gardening--whatever. But my conversations are not clever little rhymes. Love your fun couplets!
    Have never heard of a Martelli cutting mat, but I like the sound of purple. :) What is the difference you notice about them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting choice. I think if I chucked the OOPS! blocks into the Orphan Box, it would be overflowing in no time!! It's always good to see how other people do things. Thanks for sharing what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy! You always make me laugh! How clever to come up with rhymes to help you sew! The "smart fellow" is debatable.....LOLOLOL LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing your units especially in those delicious repros! Aha! Now I see how you came up with your potluck! I am honored you chose my mystery to be the first ever in your history! LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool pieces for the mystery and that mat is so bright in the yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I talk to myself all day long. Luckily i have a cat and dog (and skinny pig) so I pretend I'm talking to them.
    Looks like you're having fun with Kevin's mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How does the new cutting mat make a difference? I figure it must be the yellow making the lines easier to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your rhymes to help keep pieces in the correct order. So very clever! That is one bright mat! What goodies you have in your orphan block box!

    ReplyDelete