Thursday, August 24, 2017

Noah and Matilda sew-a-long

My second block, quilted and bound. I changed this one quite a bit as I want all of them to orient on point. I have quite a few antique pieces of these wonderful c1890 neon fabrics. The 4 corner blocks will have the real thing (as opposed to reproductions) on the back. I just love this backing fabric! 


This is the third corner block and is my favorite block in the quilt. 

before quilting

I can really relate to this designer. She was probably asked months in advance to make a block for this wonderful presentation gift and, like me, waited until the last minute. She scrounged what she had and drew the simplest design she could in order to finish in time to send it off. Yup, that’s me!

O.K., I just love this backing fabric too! 

I have lots of antique scraps so I hope to incorporate many of them in this quilt. There have been very few reproductions produced over the years and I snatch them up whenever I see them. I don’t know why I love these so much since I rarely use black in my quilts. These neons just speak to me. Maybe I do have a wild side after all (wink).

There are 42 appliqued blocks in this quilt so I need these crazy fabrics to keep me motivated! These wonderful patterns are available on Dawn's Blog (Collector With a Needle). 

12 comments:

  1. Those neon prints are so surprising. You wouldn't expect them to come from the 1800s.
    I use a LOT of black in my quilts, Wendy, so I don't know why I don't have those. I'll have to keep my eye out for them when I get to shops with a large selection of repros.
    Enjoyed your musings about the third corner block. Does the block have a name? Just trying to decide exactly what the designer had in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are moving right along! Your blocks look great and I love the fabrics you are using. What a fun quirky design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work and the fabric choices are wonderful ! Yep I'd like that simple block too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they're coming along great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks, and your fabrics, especially how you've used the neon/black ones. Do you have any of the neon repros by Pilgrim/Roy? I have several and would happily share with you, for your project.

    I'm thinking i might have to try the potholder method sometime, as it seems much less daunting ( and much more likely to get done!) than hand quilting a large quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. expert needlework as always and very interesting fabrics...would never have thought they were vintage...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blocks are pretty interesting--makes you wonder what the story is behind them. I'm totally in love with your backing fabrics--awesome prints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your neon version is going to be just lovely. It's going to be extra special to include some of the real deal in your blocks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that pink neon! wow it is so neat. You must have quite a collection of them. Can't wait to see more.
    always fun to follow your progress

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your fabrics, and never knew about that neon fabric, wow. Your quilt block is wonderful. Do you ever use vintage tablecloth fabric in your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to see all your neon fabrics! You're right - they do not get reproduced often. Looking forward to seeing more of your neon stash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple patterns, great fabrics. How could anyone go wrong?:)

    ReplyDelete